MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Fuse blows/ No stereo (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/643096-fuse-blows-no-stereo.html)

cholericfc 05-27-2011 12:36 PM

Fuse blows/ No stereo

The #8 fuse (courtesy lamps; power mirrors; Radio; etc) keeps blowing...AND my head unit doesn't work.

The new fuse blows up right as I install it. That's without the key in the ignition.

-My Eclipse head unit is from 1999, I've disconnected it...
-I have a bunch of Auto Meter gauges that are connected, they all STILL light up, and work properly
-My amps are connected up fine.

Do you think my gauges are overloading a circuit that's connected to the other circuit, which components the #8 fuse supplies???

My head unit bad???

cholericfc 05-27-2011 12:49 PM

If a new fuse is installed and it immediately blows, then the short is somewhere between the fuse box and the relay, RIGHT?

So, were could this relay be?

ttocs 05-28-2011 06:07 AM

could be anything from some metal in the cig lighter shorting it out to some loose wiring the cig lighter.

cholericfc 05-28-2011 08:15 AM

wait. The cig lighter is on the same circuit? haha. I wish it was that simple.

fltt 05-28-2011 05:42 PM

It is a direct short to ground if the fuse blows right away.
Pinched wire? behind the radio

Five0hFox 05-28-2011 05:56 PM

I'd start tracing wires looking for a pinch or bare spot.

ttocs 05-29-2011 06:32 AM

yes that and the dome light, cig lghter are common to be found on the same constant power circuit as the radio. its commong for mult items in the same location to be powered by the same wires. Could even just be a bad lighter plug, try pulling it out, checking the botton of it to ensure there are no wires/coins inside it(do you have kids?) and then see if it blows again.

cholericfc 05-29-2011 10:27 AM

So, I guess I need to trace the wiring from the dome light and the cig lighter.

Actually, now that I'm thinking of it. The radio is on more than one fuse terminal. So, i guess I should check the items on that as well.

- I have NO ignition chime (hasn't worked in years)
- My seat belt light on the instrument cluster (red) stays steady when the headlights are on.
- All of my 4 aftermarket gauges (just the lights) are wired into my A/C
- I don't know where to tap in the ignition wire for my water temp gauge.

19stang88 05-30-2011 04:25 AM

Short somewhere. trace everything that goes with fuse 8

cholericfc 05-30-2011 12:49 PM

I've checked everything except behind the instrument cluster.

I eliminated a wiring harness underneath the steering column, the ground wire lost all of its insulation, and I redid the ground to a different location.

I redid any connection or wire that I felt was even the slightest bit sketchy.

NOW, I really wonder if my gauges are hooked up wrong.

Volt - Red wire goes to engine ground on firewall; black wire goes to ignition coil
Oil - mechanical
Water temp - Used a nut behind stereo as a ground; one wire goes to the sensor; another wire (for ignition) not sure were to put it........??????
VAC - mechanical

All LIGHTS for the gauges end up tapping into the wiring behind the Climate Control.

The only other thing I can think of is the fact that I replaced the instrument cluster with one from a 1991 GT... and the RED seatbelt light stays on all the time (with headlights on)

I'm so frustrated.