5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pushrod Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Default Pushrod Help!

Ok, so I understand now how to measure pushrod length.

My concern is this: I had the concept completely backwards, thinking that the roller rocker starts on the exhaust side of the head and travels towards the intake side. NO. I realize this now, but I ordered the wrong size pushrods 8.2" and then figured this out.

I think now the correct length should be 8.0". However, when I go to check the length, I can't get the damn rocker stud to clamp down on the pushrod (Or rather, the nut clamps down on the arm which in turn holds the rod down).

Its basically like the 8.0" gives the roller rocker the correct path across the valve stem, but its too short to actually reach the arm!

Somebody help? The part number for the rocker arms is TFS-51400520
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

take a pic of your prob and post it.....I assume you are working on a 351 stroker?? are you saying the rocker stud is to short to reach the poly lock?? and are you using a solid lifter and or checking springs installed on the head to run a check??
Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

No, the actual pushrod is too short to reach the seat on the rocker arm. When i go to tighten down the polylock, it tightens as far as it will go and the rocker arm is still loose. It moves up and down like .25".

I looked for a checking spring but couldnt find anything. Maybe I didnt look hard enough. I was using the hydraulic lifter as I threw out the former stock solid lifters w/o thinking about it. These retrofits are over $600, I dont feel comfortable enough to take them apart to make them solid.

Ill post a pic a little later on today
Old 08-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Here's the best pic I could get. I have a video but couldn't post it. The rocker arm wiggles to the left and right, while the pushrod is able to still move up and down slightly. But the polylock is as tight as it will go. I don't understand
Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Well i had a brain fart and didnt back the lock off, thats why the pushrod wouldn't reach.

Now that its adjusted, should I still be able to rotate the rocker arm right and left even though its locked down?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:26 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Once you tighten everything down. There shouldn't be any play in the rockers.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Thats what I thought. How do I get rid of the play in the rocker arm? Maybe im not tightening enough?

Last edited by Duncan_GT; 08-23-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you can't run a pattern using the stock / link lifters, there is no hydraulic pressure to keep them pumped up, your spring pressure will easily overcome the spring in the lifter and collapse it and give you a false reading/ pattern, you need to do it as I stated with either a converted stock lifter or checking springs, no short cutting or you'll be back in there in short order and it won't be pretty
Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Do you know where I can find a checking spring? I googled and didnt find much. Or can I use a stock style lifter even though its shorter than my retrofits? I soaked all of the lifters in oil, is this enough to prime them or is there more to it?

I apologize for all the questions. This is my first engine build.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

before fire up, remove distributor and spin the oil pump shaft over until oil comes out all 16 rockers = system primmed

search on summit = easy
use checking springs in your case
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66793/

Quick Reply: Pushrod Help!