5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

replaced 02's sensors and still same problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 03:50 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

Default replaced 02's sensors and still same problem

Ok I was getting codes that the car runs lean and that the hego isnt switching over.....well I replaced the oxygen sensor and it still get the same codes.....it says the cars running lean....how do I fix what could be the problem....and also when when I drive the Check engine Light comes on after about 10 min of driving....help. any ideas...here are the codes I still get
91 no Hego switching dected always Lean(left side)
41-Hego sensor indicateds system running lean (right side)
basicly the car runs lean lef and right side
I need help Bad
Old 09-26-2005, 03:53 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: replaced 02's sensors and still same problem

after installing the 02's you did reset the computer right?
Old 09-26-2005, 05:25 PM
83beast
2nd Gear Member

even though its just an OBD I, yu should still be able to clear the codes. have you done that? if the codes werent cleared, then the car doesnt know you replaced the sensors.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:28 PM
CobraR4
2nd Gear Member

My MIL light (Check engine light) comes on like every min lol, its just flips on and off, on and off. I through a good bit of codes sence i sawped my intake manifolds
Old 09-26-2005, 06:21 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

I did reset the comp. I check the wiring I checked and everything, set tps, set idle, cleaned maf replaced vacume lines...made sure the wires were good all the way to computer....I know why the CEL comes on, it because of the egr not working....but when I reset the comp then go for test drive for about 10 min then, I check the codes...the same codes....it just codes 91 and 41, witch is the car is running lean and hego isnt switching over....I need to get one of the pieces that makes the comp think the egr is working, so I can take it to pass smog...thats why I need to make sure the cars running right, I doubt it will pass if it running lean....I need help????any ideas
Old 09-26-2005, 06:37 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

I think ill try this, Try removing the actual sensor from the EGR valve and pluging it in. Then depress the sensor's plunger HALF WAY and secure it. That should keep the computer happy. so that way the comp thinks the egr is working....then that might fix the running lean any ideas
Old 09-27-2005, 01:56 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

well that didnt work. I reset the comp again and put the plunger in half way... the Check engine light still comes on. It says that at idle the egr should be closed. and since the sensor is always depressed half way it, it puts the CEL on. Does any one have Ideas why I get codes that says its running lean...I replaced the O2 sensor, and still the same prob...what could cause the car to run lean?? HELP ME!!! I heard also that having the dipstick tube loose could cause it to run lean????because my dipstick tube is loose, very loose you can just pull it out, could this have anything to do with it? I need Ideas what could cause it to run lean. could my computer be bad? should I switch for a A9L, cause I have a A9S computer?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:14 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Have you checked your fuel pressure? Maybe your not getting enough fuel and your just running lean. Have you checked your vacuum? Maybe you have a vacuum leak and your taking in unmetered air.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:57 AM
lunchbox99
1st Gear Member

check your CAI mine was leaking at the TB. Also you said you replaced the EGR right?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:18 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

well I dont know if my CAI is leaking, but i doubt that would cause it to run lean, when I get home ill check it......and No i didnt replace the EGR valve, thats what setting off the check engine light. I need to make one of those resistors that fool the comp to think the egr is working....But still why is it running lean? what could cause that? could the egr not working cause it to run lean?

Quick Reply: replaced 02's sensors and still same problem