5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Are GT40 X a good choice for a cruiser.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Are GT40 X a good choice for a cruiser.

After 5 years of owning my 91 'vert and daydreaming (cheaper when you have kids in private school) I am finally starting to accumulate parts to give the 'stang some legs to keep up with the wife's minivan. I'm not looking for street racing or track days, just a more powerful cruiser.(Besides, a few years on down, my oldest daughter might be driving it) It started when I got the chance to buy a new GT40/Cobra cast U/L intake.

I may have the chance to buy some new GT40X heads -not at any bargain price($1100-1200), but I have heard good things about them and figure they will have excellent compatibility. As I understand it, they are discontinued by Ford.

I have also read and heard a lot of people give them thumbs down, saying to buy Twisted Wedge, Edelbrock, Holley. I have also read good things in older posts about Powerheads CNC ported E7s, but they are now $900 (w/exchange). I should also mention that I am looking at a dual phase cam, since I have heard almost universal opinion that the alphabet cams from Ford are outdated. The best thing about them for me would be compatibility, since I've heard cam selection is more crucial with heads like TW. Fly cutting pistons is not something I am ready to tackle. I like bolt on and go. So any cam advice is appreciated too!

I know this is old territory for a lot of people, so thanks for bearing with me. It's just that I've read and heard so much my head is starting to swim..

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:08 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

id probably go for a set of AFR165's and a same matched to your rear gears and stall if you have an auto
Old 06-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Or trickflow 170's.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Force4
3rd Gear Member

Spend another 400 and get a whole Power Package Top end kit from edelbrock. Cheap and plenty of daily power. Great power results. Im running the 351w kit myself and absolutly love the power. Its nothing crazy but for a budget kit its worth it!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2027

Last edited by Force4; 06-28-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:05 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

It really depends on what you want out of the car. If you can get the heads for a really good price I'd do it, but only if that price is less than better performing heads that also offer what you want.

I had GT X heads on my 5.0 but I ported the intake and exhaust ports, had 1.7 roller rockers, ported cobra upper/lower intake, and a factory cam with 13* of timing kicked in the car pushed out 250 rwhp on a very restrictive dyno aka the heart breaker dyno. I also had terrible A/F ratios (average around 10.0), which I later worked out but never went back to the dyno, I'd have to assume that with perferct air to fuel ratios and my setup I would of been around 255-260 rwhp.

I ordered a Steeda #19 cam, but that was also right after comp cams folded (who did the cam work for Steeda) and my cam got back ordered forever so I canceled the order and just went on with the build.

Overall I'd have to say that I liked the GT X heads, sure there are betters setups out there, but I also got the intake and heads for under $1000 which I ported myself, then had a shop powder coat the intake, in short it came out looking damn good and is still on that car to this day with it's new owner.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:25 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

New Edelbrock heads can be had for the same money you quoted for the GT's.....
Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by Force4
Spend another 400 and get a whole Power Package Top end kit from edelbrock. Cheap and plenty of daily power. Great power results. Im running the 351w kit myself and absolutly love the power. Its nothing crazy but for a budget kit its worth it!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2027

the only thing out of the kit he could use is the heads...unless hes gonna downgrade for a flat tappet cam and move over to a carb setup
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Force4
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
the only thing out of the kit he could use is the heads...unless hes gonna downgrade for a flat tappet cam and move over to a carb setup
Computers are out of date, everyones going carb'd cmon. :P
Old 06-28-2013, 11:00 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

LOL the first 3 posts and 3 different sets of heads.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:52 AM
pedalhappy
1st Gear Member

I would say go with the windsor jr heads. Cheaper then the alum heads and flows better then most of them as well. Would be ideal for your setup since you are not trying to make high numbers or whatever but you can make an easy 300rwhp with jr heads. I also recommend the steede 19 cam . Great sound and gains even though it is an older cam you dont need a custom grind for your setup.

Quick Reply: Are GT40 X a good choice for a cruiser.