5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Idle Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 04:36 PM
tosen

Default Idle Problem.

Ok, having a bit of an idle problem here, well, more than a bit, its horrible.

First off, since I bought the car, I've always had a slight problem with the Idle, namely the fact that when both the IAC and the TPS were hooked up, I would have hanging rpms... which I now realize might be the PCV valve.... as I've cleaned or replaced everything else.

Now, the car WONT idle, once its warm it will idle at around 400-800 rpms, and flucuate wildly between the two, when it gets closer to the 400 rpm range you can hear a nasty hissing coming from under the intake, and the motor shakes a lot as well. Also, since the problem started, I've noticed an oily residue all over the engine compartment, on the battery, the front of the motor, all over... I dont see anything leaking when its running, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

I did do my research before posting, and everything I read was telling me I should replace my PCV Valve, so I went to do it. Now, I dont know if Im just looking at the wrong part of the motor, but its the only thing I can feel that might be it... and there is nothing there... I can feel the slot that it should be in, and the new PCV valve i bought fits in it fine... but there was nothing there, and no hoses. The only hose that led back there that I found is about half an inch in diameter, and has a cap of sorts on the end, the cap itself actually looks like the end of the PCV valve I bought, except its plastic. I realize I might not be making much sense, sorry

Anyway, I'm at a loss. I've checked everything I can think of, which isnt much, as im still a noob with these cars. Once I start driving the car, its fine, i dont feel a loss of power (nothing noticible at least) the only thing that I hear or feel is a wierd almost hissing sound coming through the vents in the cabin...

Any advice or ideas on this would be awesome, thanks.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:10 PM
tosen

Default RE: Idle Problem.

Bump out of desperation!
Old 10-07-2005, 03:41 PM
tosen

Nobody has any clues?
Old 10-07-2005, 03:55 PM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

what year is the car?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:50 PM
CobraR4
2nd Gear Member

Clean the idle air bypass valve! I just did it, and it fixed it . Clean the throttle body also. Open it up and clean inside, and clean the gasket on the air bypass valve, and inside the air bypass valve, and clean were it sits on the throttle body, get air intake cleaner spray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then blow it out with air!
Old 10-07-2005, 04:58 PM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

That's exactly what you should do. Alot of that suff gets real dirty,especially if no one has ever cleaned it. Have you replaced your fuel filter?
Old 10-07-2005, 05:05 PM
tosen

its a 93 GT, the fuel filter was replaced about 1k miles ago, but Ill go back through and clean everything again.... Im still stumped on the PCV valve though, I dont know if Im just looking in the wrong spot or what
Old 10-07-2005, 11:18 PM
69mustangowner

my idle was hanging up also around 2000 rpms and i would have to shut the car off to get it back down. i biught a scanner it was the tps voltage so i replaced the injector harness and it has not done it sence. bought used one for 30 bucks and easy to do also.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:44 AM
tosen

Right now, the hanging RPM is the least of my worries, but I will keep that in mind if the problem continues after I get this main problem knocked out.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Megivern

Are you sure its oil? Could it possibly be power steering fluid? My power steering has a leak and it sprays the front of the motor and the side of the battery.

Quick Reply: Idle Problem.