5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Gasket maker on intake manifold+???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

Default Gasket maker on intake manifold+???

So while doing some research I have seen a few people talk about using gasket maker, permatex 518, on things like your intake manifold instead of gaskets, valve covers, water pump, anywhere but a head gasket really... is this accurate? I would like to use it for my intake manifold gasket between upper and lower for easier/cheaper install and removal for working on the upper engine.

any input or advice would be great!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:57 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I think you might have been mis-reading it. You use a dab of RTV in the corners where the head meets the block. Thats it. If you replace the gasket with just RTV you would have to put on ALOT of RTV to match the thickness of the gasket. I also don’t think RTV will hold up well against the really hot coolant that flows through a couple of the intake passages or hold up to the pressure. RTV is a lot harder to remove then a regular gasket too. Either you hose it down with RTV remover, and run the risk of getting it down into the heads or down into the oil pan through the center tunnel, or you scrape the hell out of the heads getting it off..

But in the end, its your ride. Do with it what you want.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

A lot of people use RTV on the front and back of the intake versus the cork (including me), but still use the gaskets for between the heads and intake. Doesn't save any money, but silicone works better than the cork, and using the gasket between the heads and intake fixes the height of the ports relative to each other, and keeps RTV goop out of the ports.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

^I agree with reldla. I use it in place of the cork on the end rails of the block. I also use a very small dab of it around the coolant ports, mainly to keep the gasket in place while I align the manifold
Old 09-07-2013, 07:01 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

If your intake gasket has cork components then your buying a crappy gasket. Get a Fel-Pro gasket. The gaskets that sandwich between the intake and the block are rubber/polyurothane/something-or-other. Only RTV needed for them is a dab in the 4 corners where the heads meet the block. The bonus is that the gasket is re-usable too.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
If your intake gasket has cork components then your buying a crappy gasket. Get a Fel-Pro gasket. The gaskets that sandwich between the intake and the block are rubber/polyurothane/something-or-other. Only RTV needed for them is a dab in the 4 corners where the heads meet the block. The bonus is that the gasket is re-usable too.
I have Felpro 1262 gaskets, they come with cork end rails
Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

FelPro MS93334 is what is listed for your 95 GT and the end rail gaskets are metal wrapped in rubber. The gasket for my wifey’s V6 even has little metal tabs to help hold it in place during install. MS93334 probably does too.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:25 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

FelPro MS93334 is what is listed for your 95 GT and the end rail gaskets are metal wrapped in rubber. The gasket for my wifey’s V6 even has little metal tabs to help hold it in place during install. MS93334 probably does too.
is that a stock type replacement for Ducans gt? if so the intake gasket would cover 1/3 of his port. Due to the runner size of his head.
I use the 1262 also and run sealer on the ends of the intake but still run the intake to head gaskets as most everyone does. I cant run the cork gaskets due to the milled intake but with the old intake I still used the cork without any issues for years.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

LOL. I didnt say I used that gasket, I said I have the 1262's. That gasket would choke my motor
Old 09-13-2013, 01:52 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
is that a stock type replacement for Ducans gt?
I assume it is. rockauto.com, summitracing.com & autozone.com list that gasket for a 95 Mustang GT (5.0L). MS95952 for the SVT Cobra. If you have ported your heads & intake then all bets are off on the intake to head gaskets. But the rubber end rail gaskets should still work either way.

Quick Reply: Gasket maker on intake manifold+???