5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Will not fire up

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Wombatnation

Default Will not fire up

I have a 1982 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 with a Street avenger Holley carb 670 cm.

I recently was rewiring the mess the last "mechanic" was doing and then it just stopped starting. I check the ignition wiring from alternator all the way to the ignition switch to the carb etc. I just replaced the ignition coil, ignition coil connectors, cap, rotor and all fuses. It will crank and crank strong but it will not fire up. The fuel filter fills up with fuel so I don't suspect the pump to be bad and I can see the fuel squirt into the carb itself. Any ideas or suggestions will help greatly.
I bought the Manuel but the diagram doesn't match up to well to my mess
Old 09-12-2015, 11:58 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Default Will not fire up

Pull off a spark plug and reattach it to the spark plug wire, set it against the chassis and crank, have a helper check for spark, helps to be in a darker garage.

It can only be a few things, air, spark, and fuel. You said you have fuel and youre likely getting air if youre on earth and not underwater or at some crazy altitude, it is either your coil, distributor, plug wires, or spark plugs. There is a testing procedure for coils that i dont remember off the top of my head, possibly measuring the resistance between the two contacts, should be pretty low.

Edit: if you hooked up the coil backwards you can fry it and it will no longer spark.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:01 PM
Wombatnation

So I just pulled it off and held it out and had someone crank it and got nothing from it. Gonna replace spark plugs and wires and see if it'll start

Originally Posted by 67LimeCoupe
Pull off a spark plug and reattach it to the spark plug wire, set it against the chassis and crank, have a helper check for spark, helps to be in a darker garage.

It can only be a few things, air, spark, and fuel. You said you have fuel and youre likely getting air if youre on earth and not underwater or at some crazy altitude, it is either your coil, distributor, plug wires, or spark plugs. There is a testing procedure for coils that i dont remember off the top of my head, possibly measuring the resistance between the two contacts, should be pretty low.

Edit: if you hooked up the coil backwards you can fry it and it will no longer spark.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

replacing the plugs and wires will do nothing, that is not your problem
Old 09-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Wombatnation

What's your suggestion then

Originally Posted by mjr46
replacing the plugs and wires will do nothing, that is not your problem
Old 09-13-2015, 03:15 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Default Will not fire up

Originally Posted by Wombatnation
What's your suggestion then
One spark plug wont keep it from starting, this just confirms that its electrical, start by testing the coil and making sure you have it hooked up right. Do you have power going to it when you crank?
Old 09-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Wombatnation

I replaced the coil yesterday and hooked it up just the way the old one was. Green to negative and red to positive. I'm gonna trace the wires through the harness now

Originally Posted by 67LimeCoupe
One spark plug wont keep it from starting, this just confirms that its electrical, start by testing the coil and making sure you have it hooked up right. Do you have power going to it when you crank?
Old 09-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Wombatnation

I was looking at the diagram.
1. It says black wire off the coil connects to the distrubutor. I do not know where.
2. Green/yellow comes off the coil to the ignition module.
3. Red/green comes off the coil to brown/pink(then connects to the ignition). One breaks off as red/green and goes into a resistor wire that connects to white/blue then to the ignition switch then back to the ignition module.

I connected the ignition to the brown/pink and then to what I believe is the white/blue one and nothing. Tried bridging it with the resistor wire and it just gets warm. I found a wire that looks red/green (was burnt and mangled) connected it to brown/pink, ignition and so on and so forth and got nothing. Can any send good pics of locations under the dash of this red/green and white/blue.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Wombatnation

Originally Posted by Wombatnation
I was looking at the diagram.
1. It says black wire off the coil connects to the distrubutor. I do not know where.
2. Green/yellow comes off the coil to the ignition module.
3. Red/green comes off the coil to brown/pink(then connects to the ignition). One breaks off as red/green and goes into a resistor wire that connects to white/blue then to the ignition switch then back to the ignition module.

I connected the ignition to the brown/pink and then to what I believe is the white/blue one and nothing. Tried bridging it with the resistor wire and it just gets warm. I found a wire that looks red/green (was burnt and mangled) connected it to brown/pink, ignition and so on and so forth and got nothing. Can any send good pics of locations under the dash of this red/green and white/blue.

Edit: I also don't see where the blue white wire connects to the ignition, would it be on ACC?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:42 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Default Will not fire up

Why not just run a new length of cable from the fuse box? Just double check the coil requirements.

Check the requirements for the new coil, it may not need that length of resistor wire coming from the ignition, on my 67 I had to run a new wire from the ignition to the coil because the new one needed a full 12v rather than the 8 or so you get with the resistor wire.

Use a multimeter on the coil when you are cranking to see if you are getting power, alternatively stick a spark plug in the dizzy side of the coil to dizzy spark plug cable and put it against the chassis and check for spark directly from the coil.

Last edited by 67LimeCoupe; 09-13-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Will not fire up