Aftermarket Upper and Lower Intake Manifold Installation - MustangForums.com

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #1  
UltraBlue91'
1st Gear Member

Default Aftermarket Upper and Lower Intake Manifold Installation

How hard is this installation? I like to do as much work on my car myself as much as I can obviously to save money, but I'm far from an expert. I have a pretty decent collection of tools but there's probably something I'll need. Can anyone tell me any special tools required? I feel pretty comfortable working on my car but is it worth it to take my time and do it myself or go to a shop charging $100/hr? Does someone like me, an average home mechanic have what it takes to this install? BTW, was thinking about getting the Edelbrock Performer intake....with matching gaskets.
UltraBlue91' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #2  
drhoward

It's not that hard even for someone with limited experience. Get a Haynes manual or something comparable and it will tell you what to do. I don't recall needing anything special for it
drhoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #3  
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Only thing special would be a fuel line disconnect tool. You can get those at an auto parts store.

One thing Id also suggest is getting some gasket sealant to put on the lower intake gaskets. Permatex makes some fuel resistant stuff that my local Advance had in stock. Youll also need some regular RTV to use on the end rails (china rails). Id also suggest when you install the upper intake to the lower dont honk the bolts too hard because you need to take the upper back off after you run the car a bit and retorque the lower intake bolts. Some may say not necessary but it does make a difference when the engine is hot vs cold.

Heres the stuff I was talking about.
http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...sealant-detail
Boss_Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #4  
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

If you don't have a torque wrench, get one. I believe you'll need one that registers low torque, so a wrench with a range of 20-150 ft-lbs might not cut it. You may need an in-lb version. Check torque specs first to determine what you're going to need to reach them.
Urambo Tauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #5  
UltraBlue91'
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the tips guys!
UltraBlue91' is offline   Reply With Quote