5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need advice on OBD1 codes I pulled on my 95 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Red'N'Blk95GT

I have come to think my spark plugs and/or wires are causing my symptoms...Rough idle, lack of power, hesitating while accelerating, surging while driving, and somewhat seem as if tranny is not shifting correctly...Any opinions? I have bought new plugs n wires. plan to start that job when rain goes away for a day. I really hope this helps my issues. Im sure they must be due to replace, Im not sure when they were done last, since I havent owned this car very long yet. **Thank you for any input or opinions**BTW what gap should I use for the plugs? its a 1995 Gt 5.0L
Old 04-04-2017, 03:20 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Plug gap should be between .052 - .056........ I think. Google will know for sure so double check that.

If you haven't given the car a good tune up lately, that's always a good place to start. Did you ever find a vacuum leak ? These cars are very sensitive to unmetered air . And since you had a code for a lean condition, new 02 wouldn't fix that. I believe you have a vacuum leak somewhere. That's where I'd keep searching, after a complete tune up and clearing of codes of course.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2017, 03:25 PM
Red'N'Blk95GT

ok i saw on google both 0.54 and 0.46 so wasnt sure on the best gap. yes, i think there is a vacuum leak as well. I did find a small piece of tubing on top behind the motor in the center that is broken in half, and therefore no longer connected. im not sure how to replace it,do i need to trace it all the way to both ends to replace it? thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 06:58 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

BINGO !!! There's your problem..... congrats on finding it. Your car is going to run 10 times better when that gets fixed. Just run the your local Autozone/Advance store and grab 5 - 10 ft of the same size line and replace the whole line. With the extra left over, start looking at all the other lines and replace them all. They will eventually crack and break down the road. Figure these vacuum lines are 22 yrs old and they get old and brittle and eventually just fall apart.

Gap your plugs to .054.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red'N'Blk95GT
ok i saw on google both 0.54 and 0.46 so wasnt sure on the best gap. yes, i think there is a vacuum leak as well. I did find a small piece of tubing on top behind the motor in the center that is broken in half, and therefore no longer connected. im not sure how to replace it,do i need to trace it all the way to both ends to replace it? thanks
Pretty sure I said to look for vacuum leaks before anything else quite a few posts back
Old 04-05-2017, 01:12 PM
Red'N'Blk95GT

I dont have the slightest clue how to replace the vacuum lines that are broken...they all seem to go into a place i cant get access into...theres a black tube up behind the motor that is snapped...and this other cluster with a yellow, red, and green vacuum tubing that goes into a bkack rubber connector and disappears into motor....my car wont even drive now ...HELP! WHAT DO I DO HERE???
Old 04-05-2017, 01:32 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

IM pretty sure that one goes up under the intake.

It is the vacuum line that feeds the EGR vacuum control and the smog equipment.

You may have to just feel your way under the intake, or pull the upper intake off.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:40 PM
Red'N'Blk95GT

I have no idea how to replace these. this whole connector and all three tubes are garbage...the red one broke at rubber connector, and the one in the photo a whole piece broke out the middle...i cant even drive the car now, and i cant even take it to get parts or repair...smh. this is not as easy as people make it sound. This entire piece needs replacing, and all three tubes, i dont think i can do it
Old 04-05-2017, 02:04 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red'N'Blk95GT
I have no idea how to replace these. this whole connector and all three tubes are garbage...the red one broke at rubber connector, and the one in the photo a whole piece broke out the middle...i cant even drive the car now, and i cant even take it to get parts or repair...smh. this is not as easy as people make it sound. This entire piece needs replacing, and all three tubes, i dont think i can do it
Yes you can,,, but here is the good news,,, If you can just find where it plugs into the intake you can just plug that off, none of that stuff will affect the way the car drives. Most of us have just deleted the entire smog control system any ways.

You should be able to pull the upper intake off in about 20 min. It may take longer for you if you are just learning.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Red'N'Blk95GT

So just remove the plenum from the top of motor? I never replaced these lines before. there is no way to temporarily fix? this piece broke out of the center of the yellow tubing, red is broken at rubber connector in my first photo. My belt is routed with smog pump deleted. I am about to pay a shop to replace all these vacuum lines, but car wont drive there