5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1989 Mustang no wipers but gave turbsignals

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:43 AM
Blake Bowen

Exclamation 1989 Mustang no wipers but gave turbsignals

My 1989 stang has turn signals that are working but my wipers dont. I don't have power to the hot wire in fuse box either so that leads me to think the switch it out. Anybody have other opinions? It's uncommon for the turn signals to work but wipers usually they both go out since it's a multi switch.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

There's NO power for the wiper circuit at the fuse panel? Start there and work your way towards the battery until you can restore power to the circuit. Power has to go through the fuse (or circuit breaker) before it reaches the switch. So don't blame the switch yet.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Blake Bowen

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Welcome!

There's NO power for the wiper circuit at the fuse panel? Start there and work your way towards the battery until you can restore power to the circuit. Power has to go through the fuse (or circuit breaker) before it reaches the switch. So don't blame the switch yet.
Do you have a diagram as to where the wire goes? I have no clue about wiring so I don't know the route for power from battery to wiper motor. So a wiring diagram would be helpful
Old 05-28-2017, 06:18 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Tht ges through circuit breaker #2..make sure you have the car in ACC before checking for voltage at fuse since it is switched, t comes from black/light green wire from your ignition switch. check to see if you are getting that out of the ignition switch. here's the schematic for the wiper circuit. http://www.modularfoxmustangs.com/pdf/Wiper.pdf
Old 05-28-2017, 09:49 PM
Blake Bowen

Originally Posted by ucinn
Tht ges through circuit breaker #2..make sure you have the car in ACC before checking for voltage at fuse since it is switched, t comes from black/light green wire from your ignition switch. check to see if you are getting that out of the ignition switch. here's the schematic for the wiper circuit. http://www.modularfoxmustangs.com/pdf/Wiper.pdf
Thanks for the diagrams I'm gonna start in morning. What's weird is I have power to my multi switch but no power to wiper from #2 fuse for wipers and such.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:14 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Then ignition switch could be your problem, they don't show the individual internal switched for the ignition, but that one wire powers several different fuses, so I would think you would have other things not working also..whatever runs off fuses 6,11 & 14..it does look like there is an inline fusible link, so that can be checked by looking for power at those other fuses first..then it's all a tracing game from there.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blake Bowen
What's weird is I have power to my multi switch but no power to wiper from #2 fuse for wipers and such.
That's not weird at all. The multifunction switch does not receive power from just one source. It has separate circuits going into it, just as it has separate circuits going out. It's not a power distribution point. It's just a collection of switches that are all engineered to be in the same vicinity.

It is possible that the switch could be bad, but it's equally possible that the wiper motor is shot, too. You won't know until you restore power to that circuit.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:37 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

If there's no power to fuse 2, then it would have to be either a cut wire from ignition switch to fuse panel or a bad ignition switch.