MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Trick flow top end kit low power? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/730886-trick-flow-top-end-kit-low-power.html)

schecterplayer 06-29-2017 02:56 PM

Trick flow top end kit low power?

Hey everyone I have a question about the inconsistent power of my trick flow stage one kit. The car runs flawlessly and not a hint of a performance issue. But I feel like when I did the rebuild, the power was intense and instant. Like neck breaking torque lol. Then it slowly got less and less until one day I thought about cleaning the bbk air filter. It was really dirty. I took the car out and immediately the power was back. But now a week or so later it just doesn't have what it did. Am I going crazy or is there something simple I am missing?

TrimDrip 06-29-2017 06:31 PM

have you pulled the plugs out? you may have a fuel pump going out or a filter clogged.

dawson1112 06-29-2017 06:54 PM

Did you oil the filter? Sometimes after you clean the filter and oil it, the oil residue can build up on the MAF and cause problems. Clean the MAF and see if it helps.

schecterplayer 06-29-2017 09:02 PM

I didn't oil the filter. To be honest I don't even know what that helps. But I'll check the plugs and fuel filter. It's not more than 3 years but it's a place to start

88 orangepeel notch 06-30-2017 06:31 AM

You may want to pull codes to see if it has any stored. Then start with the basics...... vacuum leaks, battery cables clean and tight, especially the grounds, dizzy tight, fuel pressure steady, salt and pepper connections tight, clean MAF, sweep test the TPS,

Or.....could it be the age old dilemma where you mod a car and love the improvement, but then slowly get use to it and want more....? Forced induction is usually the next step lol.

Good luck

schecterplayer 06-30-2017 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch (Post 8594161)
You may want to pull codes to see if it has any stored. Then start with the basics...... vacuum leaks, battery cables clean and tight, especially the grounds, dizzy tight, fuel pressure steady, salt and pepper connections tight, clean MAF, sweep test the TPS,

Or.....could it be the age old dilemma where you mod a car and love the improvement, but then slowly get use to it and want more....? Forced induction is usually the next step lol.

Good luck

thanks for the Info. I stupidly forgot to mention i have already pulled codes and done the basic checks and cleaning. So that's why I was wondering if I'm crazy lol.

schecterplayer 07-20-2017 03:52 PM

im sorry to bring back an old thread here but i have a new symptom related to my seemingly low power issue. as stated before the car shows no driveability issues at all. However the car does now buck and jerk a little when i go WOT in 2nd gear. Im right in the power band at around 3500 rpm. When the car was feeling like it had power i dont remember it doing that. So ive checked the basic things, timing at 14 btdc, tps at .95, clean air filter. i dont have a fuel pressure gauge to test fuel pressure. im running the stock fuel pump. could my pump be getting weak under WOT? im getting a fuel pressure gauge but i just wanted to get some ideas from people

TrimDrip 07-20-2017 06:33 PM

If you pull number 5 plug after it does this, what does it look like?

schecterplayer 07-21-2017 09:01 AM

I'll check when I get home. What should I be looking for

TrimDrip 07-21-2017 12:50 PM

preferably a tan brown plug. If it is running lean, you may be able to look at the plug and tell.