5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP HELP HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 02:45 AM
dcruz88

Default HELP HELP HELP

Hello everyone. I just joined this forum and I am hoping someone can help me. I recently purchased a 88 Mustang GT convertible. The car has new paint, new top, new interior, some suspension work....will post pics asap. My problem is this....The car seems to run fine, sometimes. After about 30 minutes of driving, a very faint tapping noise starts from the bottom end, then the lifters start to tick something fierce. Oil pressure is good, and yes it has oil in it! Any suggestions? The motor is mainly stock with the exception on long tube headers, underdrive pulleys and cold air kit. Am I doomed for a rebuild?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:36 PM
tchamber
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP HELP HELP

Sounds like a collapsed lifter maybe. Get the car to opperating temp, put on some gloves and pull the valve covers and crank the engine over, check the rocker arms for lash. If any are finger loose, then it sounds like a bad lifter. But what do I know?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Sinister Audio
2nd Gear Member

also you could have a faulty gauge/sensor or if the needle dosnt more at all someone could of glued it in place i have seen it done a couple of times.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:28 PM
dcruz88

Well I replaced the stock oil pressure gauge last night, when the car is cold it has good oil pressure. Once it warms up the pressure drops, to the point where it doesnt even read on the gauge. So I guess my next step is removing the oil pump and replace it.