5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Full Coilover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:58 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default Full Coilover?

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what you guys think would be a better setup. I am going to be running a 418W in my 88LX. I just ordered my D&D tubular K-member and will be doing the rest D&D also. I am running a front coil over but I was wondering if I should run a rear coilover system as well? I will be running this motor on the street about 80% of the time. Do you think the car will hook just as well/better/worst than a nice set of adjustable shocks? Thanks alot guys!

Dan
Old 01-17-2006, 02:05 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Full Coilover?

the only real advantage to running a rear coilover is the ride height adjustability, and the spring options. If you have a good set of springs, and good shocks for what youre doing, you probably wouldnt notice too much difference in your launches.

Hell, a good anti-roll bar in the rear, and good control arms would make more differnece than coil overs any time.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:11 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Yea def., I am going to be running a full D&D suspension in the rear also. I just basically want something that is going to be able to handle on the street and hook HARD at the track since I am going to be pushing some nice numbers Im going to need all the traction I can get but I do not want to sacrafice that much streetability w/ my suspension just to hook since it will be on the street 80% of the time.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:15 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

well, the problem is, if you want to do corner carving, then do track duties, you need something very adjustable, because when you have an optimal setup for cornering, you lose a lot of your front to rear weight transfer, and just blow the tires away

depending on how hard you want to hook, youll either make some sacrafices on the street and the corners, or have to do a massive amount of changes at the track, and thats never fun
Old 01-17-2006, 02:22 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

No, Im not trying to do that. I just want a good all around suspension. I will sacrafice some cornering for nice traction/launching.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:23 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Also, if I do go with a nice shock setup... do you have any recommendation? Money is not really any issue w/ the suspension but I dont want to get TOO extreme.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:24 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

you want a streetable car that can launch...that can be done rather easily, it just takes some trial and error and some good research

i cant give you too many tips on setting it up for drag racing, but get yourself some nice adjustable shocks and struts, so you can at least make adjustments once you find your ideal spring rate
Old 01-17-2006, 02:26 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Yes, thats basically what I am looking for. Something that can handle on the turns, the regular street, and the strip. I was going to order the front coil over next week from D&D. Do you think it will be OK with the front coil over and some really good shocks in the rear? Or should I not go with the front coilover?
Old 01-17-2006, 04:08 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. If you go coil over, you definatly need camber/caster plates, because your stock strut mounts will probably bend and deform under the stress of the coil overs

i personally would stick with a stock style spring, just one more ideal for what you want to do
Old 01-17-2006, 05:03 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Yea Im doing caster camber plates. Here is what I plan on doing, heres mostly everything except for the rear coilover.

D&D Tubular K-Member (baught a few days ago)
D&D Front Coilovers
D&D Caster Camber Plates
Maximum Motorsports Subframe Connectors (I think, def doing them just not sure what brand)
D&D Adjustable Upper Control Arms
D&D Lower Control Arms
D&D Anti Roll Bar
D&D Spherical Bushings
D&D Tubular A-Arms

So, with this setup I should be able to handle pretty well on the street and strip. Im just still not sure on rear coilover or not. Also, I will spend up to $400-$500 for rear shocks (I think that should be plenty right?) Does anyone have any personal experience they would like to share? And TBird232ci, keep the good info comming...

Quick Reply: Full Coilover?