5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

window motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 06:41 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

Default window motor

how do you take the right side window motor out? it looks to be tucked pretty far back into the door. It was dark in my garage cause my light busted and i cant see how to do it, so before i get a new light and try to take it out...anyone have any sugestions or tips for gettin it out... cause as of right now i dont really know how to get it out....i also need to know ow to take te lock actuator out but that sems easier than the window motor.. thanks...
Old 01-17-2006, 07:49 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: window motor

I did it on a bronco once (not that they are the same)

but there were areas where the door panel was "punched", i figured out the correct socket size, then i drilled a hole big enough (at those punches) to fit the socket in

Another suggestion that i got after i had changed the motor is to hit the back of it with a hammer and it will normally start to work, who knows, worth a try before you spend the time to remove it.

These are suggestions from somebody that's done it to a Ford before, i am not totally sure about the applications on a mustang in particular, probalby similiar though
Old 01-17-2006, 08:17 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

ok thanks alot i will try that.... anyone ever done it on a fox before?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:40 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I've never done it on a fox but I've looked at the motor because mine locked up one time. Looks like you have to drill out the rivits then there maybe a bolt holding that gear to the regulator also. It shouldn't be to bad.

Also why do you have to remove door lock actuator? In my car the motor and lock actuator are on opposite sides of the door.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:01 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

Look for little dimples in the metal by where the motor will be behind. Then you will drill on the dimples. It should be a 7/16 socket or a 3/8 or 10mm. Then remove the screws and the motor should fall off.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:31 AM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

im removing the lock actuator because my left door actuator has gone bad....and i also think my right window and lock switch have gone bad also...along with both door handles lol ....and the inside armst pad on the righ door....so pretty much my right door is royaly screwed...
ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

I've never done it on a fox but I've looked at the motor because mine locked up one time. Looks like you have to drill out the rivits then there maybe a bolt holding that gear to the regulator also. It shouldn't be to bad.

Also why do you have to remove door lock actuator? In my car the motor and lock actuator are on opposite sides of the door.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:38 AM
posnick
2nd Gear Member

let us know how it goes. both mine are shot and i will be replacing them since the car is gutted anyway. but on mine it looks like drill the rivets then take out the 1 bolt. keep us informed and good luck!
Old 01-19-2006, 07:59 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

ill let you guys know for sure.... but i have another quick question.... if i take the window motor out right now just so i dont have to do it later, can i put the door panel back on and just drive around without a window motor on that side or does it hold the window up? cause im feellazy right now cause ive been sittin around all day and i wanna get myself busy so i figured i would take out the old window motor to gt ready to install the new motor when i get it in a few days....
Old 01-19-2006, 08:44 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

anyone gonna help? may be a stupid question but everone has stuff they dont know and i dont know about windows and how they work so can sumone please give me sum advice?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:51 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

It holds the window up. If you can prop it up then you can leave it out.

Quick Reply: window motor