5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

motor pull

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:38 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

Default motor pull

im pullin the motor in about a month or so so i can clean up the engine bay and paint it when i get the car painted from white to black... does anyone have any good tips that i should know about pullin the motor so its easier? i would also like to know everything that is involved thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 11:51 PM
hotstang97gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: motor pull

is that all your doing is pulling it and painting the engine bay? you can either just pull the engine or pull the engine with the tranny. yu might want to pull the tranny so you can paint in further when you pull it mark every thing you take off. bag the nuts and bolts and mark where they came off from.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:05 AM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

is there really that much stuff that you have to unbolt? i have pulled motors with help in older cars but never a car with this much electronic stuff....
Old 02-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Sickspackstang
3rd Gear Member

well the electonic crap just leave in and tape them off, paint around that crap
Old 02-02-2006, 03:08 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I got a tip for getting those 2 top bolts where the tranny bolts to the engine. I bought a tool from sears call serpentine belt removal tool. Its ment to fit in compact flats spaces that hard to get with a ratchet. Its a flat bar with a 3/8 ratchet bit on the end. You can use this to get the bolts from the top of the engine bay this way you don't have to fish though underneeth the car with long extensions and swivels.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:13 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

[/quote]
ORIGINAL: 91lxstang

does anyone have any good tips that i should know about pullin the motor so its easier?
Yeah, it usually comes out easier if you unbolt the block from the mounts! lol
Old 02-02-2006, 09:58 AM
hotstang97gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91hatchgt
ORIGINAL: 91lxstang

does anyone have any good tips that i should know about pullin the motor so its easier?
Yeah, it usually comes out easier if you unbolt the block from the mounts! lol
[/quote]

+1 lol
Old 02-02-2006, 11:05 AM
4eyedfreak
3rd Gear Member

I dont know about that tool but my advise...since i do this every year, is unbolt the tranny from crossmember and pull off all you accesories. Then unbolt the motor and harness and pull motor.... make sure you remember you vaccum lines from booster and so fourth. Pull it out as one. When you put it back in..i would drop the tranny off and put the motor and trans in seperate that way if you painted the bay you dont **** it up... Theres more to it then that..like headers and such but i dont want to type a story. Good luck
Old 02-02-2006, 12:59 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

since you are wanting to paint the engine compartment to make it easier on yourself pull the engine and the tranny at the same time. Also you can either hide the wires in the fenders or put on new wire looms to make the wiring look a lot better. Make sure that everything is as clean as possible and take scotch bite to the whole compartment to ruff up the metal so the paint sticks better
Old 02-02-2006, 05:53 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

yea i have a grinder with a a circlular metal brush on the end that will take it ALL the way down to te metal in about 3 hours..... i used it to completely strip my dads superbee compartment all the way down to the metal and it took about 3 hours or so...... so it shouldnt take long at all
ORIGINAL: stanglx2002

since you are wanting to paint the engine compartment to make it easier on yourself pull the engine and the tranny at the same time. Also you can either hide the wires in the fenders or put on new wire looms to make the wiring look a lot better. Make sure that everything is as clean as possible and take scotch bite to the whole compartment to ruff up the metal so the paint sticks better

Quick Reply: motor pull