5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

k-member which one HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 04:39 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: k-member which one HELP please

granetelli makes one that's similar to QA1. jdsperformance.com has it for around $200 and the a-arms to go w/ it are $189, i think. If i had the $ to spend, I'd go w/ Maximum Motorsports. they race w/ all the stuff they make.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:54 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

if i had the money i would go with theres to but i don't have 15-1800 for the kit
Old 02-07-2006, 04:58 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

I have the D&D Motorsports with the tubular a-arms and front coil overs and I love it. Much stiffer and responsive steering. I would suggest that you invest in some caster/camber plates at the same time and if you have some extra money throw in a bumpsteer kit.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:09 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I dont see how D&D is cheap??? Their K member is $350 dollars... I dont find that cheap at all. And I would love to know how they are the poorest quality k member out there but they run them on 7-8 sec cars. Please fill me in FullAuto.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:18 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Don't quote me because I am not a 100% but I think that the QA1 has to be used with the QA1 shocks. So if you like Koni, lakewood, or tokico then your sh*t out of luck. I think.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:37 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I'm not 100% sure either but I dont think that you do.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:50 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT
And I would love to know how they are the poorest quality k member out there but they run them on 7-8 sec cars. Please fill me in FullAuto.
Ian from corral.net

So you are thinking about a D&D K member eh? I would recommend you stay away!

Here is my small rant.

I bought the complete kit from JDs Performance, K member, a-arms, cc plates, coil overs, ect... NO complaints about Dave, he is the man for sure!

There were problems right from the start, D&D shipped the stuff to the wrong location, then they shipped 96 control arms for my 88 Then they shipped me a set of arms for my car with no sway bar, finally I received the correct arms (2 week delay)

Next, the CC plates were missing pieces (2 day delay) there were NO instructions or hardware for anything! I called again and they told me"It should have been there" Good answer!

Now the install. The K member is light and it actually did bolt in, the arms went in, cc plates, and coil overs. I then bolted on the rack. So far so good.......

Now I put the motor in. The longtubes hit the K member in two places on each side, not impressed at all. One of the main points to buying a k member is to get more clearance.

I will never buy a product from D&D again. The service was poor, the shipping was terrible. The product is OK, but they should work on their template to give more header clearance.

Ian
Anuerysm from corral.net

I have the d&d tube front suspension. In my opinion it is a pos. Fitment was a major issue.

I have some pics

http://www.angrysteed.com/dnd *LINK IS NOW DEAD*
86cobra from corral.net

Don't buy a D&D k-member. The k-member is a lousy design with no more header clearance than stock. The AJE k-member is a much better design.

I do like the D&D a-arms and coil overs. I'm very happy with those.
corral.net conversation:
Question: I have a D&D K member in my 84 Mustang and the stock rack won't fit. I was just going to buy a Flamming River Rack as I really needed one anyways (plus I broke something on the old one) so I wanted to know if it would fit.

Also, what would I use to bolt the rack in since the stock bolts don't work?

Answer: I have the FR rack on my D&D K member. I used 1/2" -20 x 2" bolts.

Question: So the FR rack just slides on the D&D K member correct? Almost sounds to good to be true!

Answer: Yeah, it SHOULD... I had to do alittle grinding on my K member to get it to fit correctly, but I suspect that as more of a manufacturiing error on the K member rather than anything with the rack.

This is getting kind of long, so I'll just link a few more.

Post #7 & #9 http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...ghlight=member

Post #7 http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...ghlight=member

You should see all the postive things said about PA and AJE.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:00 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

1. Ok wait a minute full auto. Just becuase one guy had trouble with header clearance doesn't mean everybody else does. I didn't with my turbo manifolds and their bent in all sorts of directions. The 3.5" downpipe fits perfectly through the opening and all that. That guy should have asked before he bought so that's kinda his fault. The shipping probably wasn't through the company directly. It couldve been a wholesaler or distributor for them because that is how they do most of their business.

2. The fitment wasn't an issue for me. The guy probably had a twisted chassis to begin with.

3. Everything in the automotive performance world is an opinion and a preference. I have had no problems with my stuff and I think it helped my car out greatly. Am I saying that it is the only kit to buy. NO! But don't sit there and say they are the worst unless you have tried all of them.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:02 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Oh yeah. The bolts for the steering rack came with my kit. So I didn't have a problem there either.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:18 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

Maximum Motorsports is the best for road racing, it is hevier than the light weights, so it can handle high G loading in corners

Quick Reply: k-member which one HELP please