5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

KB supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
88foxlx

Default KB supercharger

I was considering the Kb 1.5 kit with an 8 psi pulley. my question is does anyone have this setup or close to it, and is it worth the price or would you recommend something else? any feedback would help me out
Old 02-13-2006, 03:39 PM
chord509
1st Gear Member

Default RE: KB supercharger

No personal experience here, but you can find centrifugal superchargers for cheaper that put out as much boost. You just won't have the cool whining noise.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:26 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I dont think the power it makes is necessarily worth the price, however u pay for more than just the power. The KB blowers do have a ton of positives, just like many of the other blowers on the market. Personally i love the fact that it replaces the upper intake, no extra plumming is needed in the engine bay. I also like the instant boost and tons of tq it makes, that its oil system is self contained. The whine is also mingya nice and they're also way more rare than vortechs. I want one very bad.

I would say if u wanna start with something cheaper, go with a head and cam combo, and then by the time u spring for the KB the reward will be so much more... If not, just a KB rules too in my book
Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 PM
88foxlx

actually just ordered tfs tw heads just waiting till they get here my buddy gave me his gt-40 intake when he left for the army, the cam im not to sure on yet but will be coming soon I have the cash for it and I just sold my other car for 6000 ( used to be in the whole import thing) so i have the money right now!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:42 PM
SunsokuStang
2nd Gear Member

I would get one,im getting one hopfully next year for my 87' GT there worth the price and theres nothing wrong with them...and there easy to install.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:56 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

I have a friend that has one on a 5.0 Cobra. I don't think it is worth the money, and it does not look the same as on a Mod engine. The SC kind of sits off to the side instead of in the middle. I have attached an article that might give you some info in making your selection.
http://www.kennebell.net/media/articles/BLOWZILLA.pdf
Old 02-13-2006, 11:22 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

(Disclaimer... no personal experience)
The great thing about the Kenne Bell's twin-screw design is it's gonna put out most of that 8psi, if not all, right off idle. And you're gonna keep that 8psi of boost all the way to redline. ( http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...boltonVSsc.pdf )

Even with a roots-type, you're only making about half the PSI at 4k rpm, same with all the centrifugal chargers.

Read that paper over, it might be a little biased, but it backs up it's info with tests etc. from independent magazines.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:15 AM
94indy

well I just bought a KB 2.2L Blowzilla, 2 days ago. Going to put it on when I put my AFR 165 competitions on. I think its all about what you intend to do with the car. Me, I want the low torque and to have fun in the steets with. Plus I got a good deal on it, too.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:09 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: waxyourboard
Even with a roots-type, you're only making about half the PSI at 4k rpm, same with all the centrifugal chargers.
I'm pretty sure roots type make full boost at low RPM like the twin screws... its basically an identical design, just blows air out and around instead of straight through...
Old 02-14-2006, 04:14 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

INDY, CAN YOU TELL US WHERE YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL ON A KENNY BELL & HOW MUCH? THANKS.

Quick Reply: KB supercharger