5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

next summer's master plan

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default next summer's master plan

so, I want to put a new carpet, a 6pt roll bar and a rear seat delete in my '86 once the 5.0 is up and running...

I thought, whynot do it all in one go, so next summer I plan on doing this all in 1 go

pull the interior to fit the cage

while the back panels are out, swap out the '86 quarter glass for '87-93 glass, personally I like the cleaner look

once the cage is in, replace the carpet, mine is nasty, stained and faded, as many 21 year old cars are...

either re-install the back seat for a while or get the delete kit (depends on what I can afford in a year)

put it all back together

take pics and post them up here...

I'm bored now, it got dark...
Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: next summer's master plan

ORIGINAL: Shelty

while the back panels are out, swap out the '86 quarter glass for '87-93 glass, personally I like the cleaner look
You do reallize that your 86 rear interior panels will not fit properly with the 87 - 93 windows you will have about a 3/4" gap between the panel and the glass.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:47 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Are you really going to need a roll bar?
If youre just putting in a stock 5.0 you certainly wont- youll have a 14-15 second car and only cars 12 seconds or faster need one.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raven_ghostwolf

You do reallize that your 86 rear interior panels will not fit properly with the 87 - 93 windows you will have about a 3/4" gap between the panel and the glass.

I was unaware of that. would that gap cause it to leak or anything, or is it merely cosmetic

and PJB, I dobt know if I'll need one in the near future, but I would like one, I do plan on building the car up, hopfully building a pretty fast car over the next few years...

Old 07-22-2007, 11:52 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

I was unaware of that. would that gap cause it to leak or anything, or is it merely cosmetic

It is a cosmetic thing that is only really seen from the inside but it is kinda gawdy looking and very noticeable. Just find some 87 - 89 or 90? rear panels the ones with out the rear seat shoulder belts. Look for close to your stock color or ones that would be easy to paint - to - match. Especially if your gonna go to the trouble of cleaning up the rear with the seat delete and a roll bar.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

It is a cosmetic thing that is only really seen from the inside but it is kinda gawdy looking and very noticeable. Just find some 87 - 89 or 90? rear panels the ones with out the rear seat shoulder belts. Look for close to your stock color or ones that would be easy to paint - to - match. Especially if your gonna go to the trouble of cleaning up the rear with the seat delete and a roll bar.
ok.

thanks man, shouldnt be too hard to find those panels. though there are few 5.0 stangs lying around the boneyards, there are many 4 bangers with blown engines that I can pick through, plus the interior dye I use is amazingly good.

the coin tray was black when I got it... I may also upgrade to '87-93 door panels, mine are curling in the corners and finding a red set anywhere is halfway impossible. but I want to keep the '86 dash, I love it, it looks more "muscular" and better IMO
Old 07-23-2007, 12:19 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

I know at one time seam all you could find is red interior, now it seams it is harder to find from what a lot of people been saying on here. The panels you have look nice I'd just clean them up they will look fine with the rear panels. If you switch to the newer door panels it will look sharp just keep in mind the location of your power window and door switches will change.

The switches for the newer panels will have to be used and I'm not sure the plugs will interchange even 87 - 93 seen a couple changes on the wiring depending on just how many power options you had. I'm making changes to mine now and have run into this. My car had no power options at all when I got it. I first added the power mirrors and door locks that was no big issue. now I am changing out my doors and will have full power and the only wiring I can use is for the mirrors the door locks switch connections are different.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

I know at one time seam all you could find is red interior, now it seams it is harder to find from what a lot of people been saying on here. The panels you have look nice I'd just clean them up they will look fine with the rear panels. If you switch to the newer door panels it will look sharp just keep in mind the location of your power window and door switches will change.

The switches for the newer panels will have to be used and I'm not sure the plugs will interchange even 87 - 93 seen a couple changes on the wiring depending on just how many power options you had. I'm making changes to mine now and have run into this. My car had no power options at all when I got it. I first added the power mirrors and door locks that was no big issue. now I am changing out my doors and will have full power and the only wiring I can use is for the mirrors the door locks switch connections are different.

yeah, I know what you mean ebay hasnt really had much, and I havnt had time to sort through the wrecking yards.... with the different rear panels I think my speakers will move, but I'm not sure.

as for power options, my car has power windows and locks. it has most of the options offered I think, the door tag is painted over
has these options
power windows
power locks
cruise
auto
console
t-top package
A/C

previous owner added the 10 holes

car didnt have
GT package or V8 package

which I am fixing now

unsure of

radio... as you can see it has a cheapo head unit in there

I think that I could replace the cardboard on the door panel or use a thin paneling wood to strengthen it up and take the curls out... but I do like those newer door panels[8D] the scarlet red isnt much different from caynon red anyway... at least from pictures Ive seen
Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM
emericaskater285
1st Gear Member

man message me how the new 5.0 runs in the little beast.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: emericaskater285

man message me how the new 5.0 runs in the little beast.
its not quite done yet, but when it is I will, if all goes well, should be dropping it in on saturday (work all week[:'(]) but I still need to source out a carb and rewire some stuff...

I pulled the sensor plugs off the 3.8 for the oil pressure, coolant temp and the A/C and the wire insulation crumbled in my hands... gotta fix that/elimiminate the A/C wiring...

Quick Reply: next summer's master plan