5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Glass pack muffler.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:16 AM
boogieman

Default Glass pack muffler.

Ok. im finally re doing the exhaust on my car... i'm getting some cheap pipes off some guys parts car... But now i need mufflers...

The guy said he would give me his (but i dont want them), and a friend told me i should get Glass packs for it...

I know nothing about mufflers... and searching glass packs i got 12 pages worth on Summit. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...rdSearch#rstop

Any advice on how to find the best bang for my buck (Mainly looking for the biggest HP gain. Sound isnt important, but of course if i have a choice, id like the best sound possible haha)

oh...its a 89 GT
Old 08-12-2007, 04:49 AM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Glass pack muffler.

Glasspacks are cheap, but they neither sound good nor perform well.

If your looking for the best performance youll want something bullet style. Although a set of cheap bullet mufflers isn't going to sound the best, get slp IIs or borlas if you want a nice exhaust tone.

Let me know if you want more info on mufflers, keep in mind the muffler is a large part of how your car is going to sound, not something I would skimp on.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:08 AM
boogieman

Well, heres my dilema..... I need to get the new exhuast system this week (monday preferablly). I had half a system when i bought the car.... But i lost the tail pipe (from the muffler back) after someone cut me off and i hit a curb, and the Muffler fell off on a speed bump afterwards.

So, i hear its a bad idea to drive without this stuff, so i need to replace it before i can drive the car.

I have a job interview on friday, that i need a car for... And my paycheck is only $480 (thats all i have right now). But i want a good system... Not just crap i will have to replace later on to get a better one.

The guy i will be buying the pipes from, has a full system for sale... for $75.. and all i know is that it "has flows". I wont know more till Monday when i can call him and set up a time to check it out.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:23 AM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

I would pick up the system hes selling for now, flowmasters arnt the best performing but are reliable and usually sound good. In the future you can just pick up some new mufflers and cut the old ones out and weld mufflers of your picking back in. I would save your money for now though.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:50 AM
jhall01
2nd Gear Member

i would pick up the flows. i have 40 series with h-pipe and i love the way it sounds. borla exhaust sounds really good also. 75 bucks for flows i would get them.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:54 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LCBlackDep183

I would pick up the system hes selling for now, flowmasters arnt the best performing but are reliable and usually sound good. In the future you can just pick up some new mufflers and cut the old ones out and weld mufflers of your picking back in. I would save your money for now though.
That why most people have flows on their mustangs, because they dont perform well. Sure they dont.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:55 PM
jhall01
2nd Gear Member

i agree with ya onetrickpony. why would so many people have them if they didnt perform well
Old 08-12-2007, 08:17 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Flowmasters aren't the best flowing mufflers out there. They sound good and flow alright though. You really don't want the best flowing muffler on a mild mustang though because you need to have some exhaust back pressure.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:57 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Get some purple hornies man!!!! the purple looks cool and then your stang will sound like a Truck gone red!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:27 AM
90_Mustang_GT
2nd Gear Member

I am a fan of Thrush Glassers, no louvers like puprle hornies or other brands, just straigh through flow. Thats what i have on my truck and i set off car alarms hahah, if you want your car that loud. $21.95 out of summit. But Borla is an excellent choice.

Quick Reply: Glass pack muffler.