5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Headgasket Question:

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default Headgasket Question:

Found a possible project 87 mustang 5.0 GT.. Outside and inside is in really rough shape, but motorwise it looks like all it needs is a replacement headgasket.

Not to familiar with the 5.0's. Can you get the heads off without pulling the motor? Need to replace the headstud bolts as well as the gaskets? Anything else that needs replaced when doing so?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:52 PM
shawnk007
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Headgasket Question:

you dont need to pull the motor. as for bolts, a new set is always recommended, but you can clean up the old ones. now besides new intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets and header gaskets, nothing else should need replaced. this is a very easy task to do if your mechanically inclined at all.... if that is all the stang needs, and you feel comfortable doing the work, then its worth getting, depending on the price...
Old 09-04-2007, 09:05 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shawnk007

you dont need to pull the motor. as for bolts, a new set is always recommended, but you can clean up the old ones. now besides new intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets and header gaskets, nothing else should need replaced. this is a very easy task to do if your mechanically inclined at all.... if that is all the stang needs, and you feel comfortable doing the work, then its worth getting, depending on the price...
I can do the work.. I did most my own mechanical stuff to my two previous stangs after I got them.

Im torn on the car.. its a nitrous car.. not sure how big the nozzle is. I think thats why the headgasket blew. Has a lot of addons.. new cam, intake, think it may have a different set of heads, clutch, etc.

The bad part is its in REAL bad condition outside. needs new seals all over, especaly the sun roof. Front end doesnt match the rest of the car color wise... Hood doesnt shut quite right, door handle is missing on driver side, needs a new headlight and a new tail light.... and a chunk is missing from the rear bumper. Its a 5 speed and the motor runs as is.. obviously like crap due to the gasket.. not bad, asking 1900 obo. May end up in this section a lot more in the near future [8D]
Old 09-04-2007, 09:11 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

1900 seems a lil high for what you describe as a basket case. Got any pics of it?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:16 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

replace the bolts. they stretch.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

The stuff you listed is fairly eay to replace. I agree with Pro $1900 is a bit much. If you could get it for $1000 then it might not be bad.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Boss_Hotrod

The stuff you listed is fairly eay to replace. I agree with Pro $1900 is a bit much. If you could get it for $1000 then it might not be bad.
At the very most!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:33 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

ORIGINAL: Boss_Hotrod

At the very most!
Thats kind of what I was thinking. Was going to offer around 900 and see where we met up at.

Honestly the body isnt bad.. other than the rear bumper its acutaly straight. All the gt moldings are in place and sitll on, all glass is good, interior looked okay, basically its a bad running resto project that could have a lot of potential.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Mike 83 GLX
2nd Gear Member

If you can't get that for under $1k, skip it and find one in better shape. Sounds like its been beaten on pretty bad.

Probably need to rebuild the trans and rear end too if they're stock and have alot of nitrous abuse.

All that stuff adds up really fast and you're probably better off spending a little more on a better car in the first place.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:52 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Sorry for the terrible quality, but here are some camera phone pics.. was really overcast today[&:]

[img][/img]

Quick Reply: Headgasket Question: