5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

MSD digital

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default MSD digital

Has anyone ever sent their box to msd for repair. They said it would take two weeks, i am hoping it wont be that long. When my fox broke down, i realized i did not have spark, so like a dumbass i jumped 12v directly to msd coil, that is a no no, and my box smoked. When i was taking electronics, my instructor always said to keep the smoke in because if you let it out your screwed lol. I did not realize that the msd ignition will not measure any voltage to coil with key turned on, it only has voltage to coil when motor is running. I found out why i want getting spark, it was because of my polymer dizzy gear(pieces of ****) so i ordered a iron gear and tried to fix by box. I have an electronics degree so it should be easy right. (BTW i dont no nothing about tronics, i just passed the courses lol) Any how , could not fix the box, i had 2 ground traces burnt oncircuit card. MSD said the charge will be anyhwere from $25-$88, cheaper than a new one. Just wondering if any one has any experience and how long it took before you got it back.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:54 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MSD digital

i had it done a few years back i dont remember exactly how long but it was a couple weeks .. they didnt charge me though and i never had any problems once i got it back ...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:31 PM
mojopony
1st Gear Member

If you've ever worked on a british motorcycle one of the industry secrets is that the Lucas electrics rely on smoke to work properly. When the smoke escapes is when you have a problem!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

That is what i said. The smoke came out. But no, i have not ever worked on motorcycles. I repair electronics that go in our fighter jets.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 PM
mojopony
1st Gear Member

Cool. I've worked on a lot of defense projects myself. No electronics though, mainly machined parts.
Semper Fi.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:39 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I spent 6 years in Army, and now i am civil service for a Air Force Base. When i was serving i hated the AF, they were so spoiled lol. But the money is pretty good.