5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Need help!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Tacom_mustang

Default Need help!

My car is stiting in fife,WA broke down. Last nght I was getting off the freeway and it just died. The way it died I thought it was a fuel problem, but after looking at it today it is a spark problem.

There is no spark coming out of the coil. I touched the coil wire to a bolt and tried to start it, no spark. I went and got a new coil and that didn't fix the problem.

I am thinking now that it is a Control Modual, anyone else have any ideas? I am lost at this point.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:39 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Need help!

with a test light you can confirm a few things like check the positive side for power with key on then with the neg side and test light on that side crank it and see if the light occilates/flashes quickly.......that'll indicate that the stator/pick up should be doing it's job to fire the coil if it doesn't then a good possible problem could be the TFI module or the pick up/ stator in the Dizzy!!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

also if you have a noid light you can check for injector pulse if you don't have any then it's a good possibility the stator went bad as it Id's the cylinders and which ones to fire and when as well as the injectors and through the TFi module these signals are interpereted and sent to the ecm to execute the commands......this is an easy way to explain it without getting technical
Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Tacom_mustang

That just confused the crap out of me. All I know is there is no spark coming out of the coil, and they said the Control modual might be bad. So your talking about testing the plug in that goes into the Control Modual? Is that the same thing as a TFI?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:21 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no, in the first post I was talking about the coil plug in[&:]
Old 09-27-2007, 08:23 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

If you have a multimeter you can test the TFI module but if not you can unbolt it and take it down to Autozone and they can test it for you.......
Old 09-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Tacom_mustang

I said screw it, and went and got the ignition modual, and it fixed the problem, she is up and running again. It was tough, had to borrow some tools, didn't have the right size, in fact, we never did, we just made one socket work.

Now I just have to figure out the massive oil leak that I have.

My friends tell me to sell it now and save my ***, and I am on the fence.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:31 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

also if you have a noid light you can check for injector pulse if you don't have any then it's a good possibility the stator went bad as it Id's the cylinders and which ones to fire and when as well as the injectors and through the TFi module these signals are interpereted and sent to the ecm to execute the commands......this is an easy way to explain it without getting technical
HAHA! Yeah mjr you are a ton of help, but even I had a hard time following that post. Try using SOME periods and comma's now and then!

Search this Thread