5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

t-5 problem help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:38 PM
rallycar01
1st Gear Member

Default t-5 problem help please

i have a t-5 and a few times a day when i go to go from a light or a stop sign my car will kick out of gear. i always make sure that i had put it in gear all the way but when i go to start out it will pop out so just wondering what you guys thought it might be thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:44 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: t-5 problem help please

mis alignment in the tranny. either clutch or tranny itself is not adjusted properly. extremely worn out clutch will do this. mis adjusted stops on the shifter could not let you set it in gear all the way. could be any
Old 10-03-2007, 03:49 PM
rallycar01
1st Gear Member

where should i start lookin....which problem should i start first at??? and how ?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:54 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

happened to me with the shifter stops. take off your upper and lower shifter boots and loosen the stops. then see how far each gear goes and readjust the front and back stops.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

well does your car drive differently in any way than the norm? that might be a hint. if not try this.

make sure there is 1inch or less play in the pedal travel at the top. if more than that pull up on the pedal (click)to take slack out of the line.

take your boot off and get to the shifter stops that are on the north and south end of the shifter. its an adjustable nut. loosen them all the way. put the car in second(car off by the way) adjust the nut so it touchs the shifter handle and tighten that up. repeat with shift in 3rd gear. that will properly align your shift stops. try driving like that. see if it repeats problem.

if so come to a complete stop and put your car in (car on)5th and let the clutch out slowly. if you can basically let the pedal out all the way without your car moving or dying on you....your clutch might be getting down there in lifetime.

if those dont work post up again. those are some simple tips that take no time at all
Old 10-03-2007, 04:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

do you have an aftermarket shifter with adjustable stops??? if so pull up the shifter bezel and loosen the stops to allow more shifter travel
Old 10-03-2007, 04:22 PM
rallycar01
1st Gear Member

my car doesn't drive any diffrent than normal. ive started out in second a few times just to see if it would do it in that gear but it wont. it only happens in first gear. i have stock shifter. only thing after market is cable and quadrent but sure that has nothing to do with anything,........when i bought the car the guy said there was an aftermarket clutch that he had put in it and he only had like 3xxx miles on it. but never really got dirty to actually see for myself. So should i see if there is an after market clutch in it then let you guys know or just try what you said fivepointohh???
Old 10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

sounds like clutch out of allingment
Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 PM
rallycar01
1st Gear Member

so whast that mean and what do i have to do to fix it???,,,,,,,PS: only driving it for another month or so cuz its goin in the garage for the winter and motor takin out so the 408 can go in it ....but the shifting this is embarrassing whenim at a light andim just trying to leave it so i want to fix this without putting alot of money in it, if any at all.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:40 PM
thesource
2nd Gear Member

Does it grind going into reverse ? Do you feel the car wanting to move foward when you try to put it into 1st gear ? It could be a clutch issue but its also very possible that you have an issue with the 1/2 slider assembly or a worn out 1/2 shift fork on the 1st gear side of it .

Quick Reply: t-5 problem help please