5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Firewall adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

Default Firewall adjuster

I Recently installed an stock clutch cable and new ford racing double hook quadrant. I found out that i would need a firewall adjuster. So that brings me to my Question, Now the pedal on my dads 83 convertible sticks up passed the brake and does not engage till as my dad says "your knee hits your chin" so does anyone know what i need to do to get the pedal back to about even with the brake pedal? The firewall adjuster is a Ford racing firewall adjuster. I appreciate the info.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Firewall adjuster

Have you tried moving the cable to the other hook on the quadrant? You can use any adjuster, I have a steeda.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

When i put the cable on the hook at the front of the quadrant it makes it where i cannot hook the cable up to the tranny.. makes it too short i even tried with a crow bar no dice
Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

OK, then you need the firewall adjuster then. Any of them will do fine. All pretty much do the same thing.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

the one that i just purchased is giving problems, I have installed the firewall adjuster and found that the cable is still behaving the same way. If i try the top then it is all pedal. if i try the bottom it won't reach at the fork. I've tried adjusting ..umm the adjuster several times and i cannot get the clutch to go away from the all pedal feel it has presently.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

HMMMMM , I don't understand why there are so many posts weekly regarding adjustable cables, quadrants and firewall adjusters......It took me like 10 min to get mine set perfect...Did you have the same prob with the stock cable and bought an adjustable set up thinking it would fix your problem??? if so it may be a clutch/ pressure plate issue or flywheel that is below spec????
Old 10-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

The original cable was well shot so i purchased a new stock cable. The clutch actually got better but the stock quadrant wouldn't stop self adjusting. so i replaced it with the ford performance one, which is were all the problems began when i would get it hooked up it would have the all pedal feel or, wouldn't connect to the fork. ( I told my dad he should have went with the adjustible cable this would have been a lot easier.) So I emailed summit and ford they told me that i would need the firewall adjuster to make the stock cable work properly... After hours of trying last night it's still the same way. So I figured i'd come back here since everyone helped me get My 5.0 back into shape some months ago.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:46 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Ok so are you getting a firewall adjuster?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

No No I have the firewall adjuster
Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Mine too was easy and works perfect

Quick Reply: Firewall adjuster