5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Guys who launch hard...you get this?(picture)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Guys who launch hard...you get this?(picture)

ORIGINAL: whitelightning5.0

with your 60 in your sig...and your 1/4....

i think you have other issues...i run way faster then your car,with way lower 60 fts,and my car does not do that.

ive ran 10s and 60 ft'd a 1.4
What other issues could it be? My car isn't rusted or broke anywhere...I just don't see it being anything else. Maybe you just didn't notice it.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:00 PM
0to300

My car is extremely straight,but over time I aquired the same buckles.Mine is bone stock,but has factory sunroof.The roof also has some low spots around the sunroof.I straightened it once when I repainted it,but it slowly came back.
It is from launching hard.
If you ever seen a car body launch hard in slow motion high def,you can see the panels wiggle like jello.I would not worry about it.If its a race car you could perhaps X brace the hatch and then tie to the floor...
Old 12-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

My first fox hatch did the same thing running et streets and 11.5 quarter, a cage is the only real way to "help" prevent it. I say "help" because it will only prolong the effect of that happening again. If you get a real good weld in cage it may stop it completly but i wouldn't bet on it.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:41 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 0to300

My car is extremely straight,but over time I aquired the same buckles.Mine is bone stock,but has factory sunroof.The roof also has some low spots around the sunroof.I straightened it once when I repainted it,but it slowly came back.
It is from launching hard.
If you ever seen a car body launch hard in slow motion high def,you can see the panels wiggle like jello.I would not worry about it.If its a race car you could perhaps X brace the hatch and then tie to the floor...
I was just about to say, isn't there some supports that go across the hatch area for support? I see them in the Honda Hatchbacks all the time, (although probably used for a different purpose?) but I am sure that might help some.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:20 PM
0to300

When you look at the car with the hatch open the sunroof out and the 1/4 glass removed it leaves very little structure behind.Not sure if orhowthe axle can induce twist when launching,maybe there areways to strenghten where it mounts.
If the car gets too rigid,it will probably start cracking welds and seams.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:22 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

lol, my old stock 86 had the same thinghappening to it
Old 12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 0to300

When you look at the car with the hatch open the sunroof out and the 1/4 glass removed it leaves very little structure behind.Not sure if orhowthe axle can induce twist when launching,maybe there areways to strenghten where it mounts.
If the car gets too rigid,it will probably start cracking welds and seams.
I don't know...I wonder if it is just a short comming that goes along with a mustang hatch. I don't see how I can really support that area. You would think it would wrinkle on the roof or around the windsheild before there. Maybe it is from the torque boxes? They are kind of in the area....
Old 12-02-2007, 04:35 PM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

i think i have the same problem. i have the back interior out and i found cracks and i think a wrinkle that wasnt supposed to be there. but o well it a junk body anyways. i would think a rollcage thats supporting the rear section of the roof should help. just tie it into the frame the right way.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:07 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

its gonna happen for the hatch, that area is the only thing that supports the frame of the vehicle
Old 12-02-2007, 05:37 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

All front engine RWD unibody cars(or really any car regardless of chassis type or configuration)are subject to those kinds of forces to some one degree or another. They simply weren't designed to take those kinds of forces repeatedly. The only way to prevent(or prolong it from occuring) the problem is with additional reenforcement.

Quick Reply: Guys who launch hard...you get this?(picture)