5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Too many options....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Irish5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Too many options....

Hey guys,

Since everyone here seems to be pretty well informed on these foxes I would like to get your opinions and suggestions.

Situation: I am selling my bike beggining of Feb and getting 4200 to play with. I would like to put it into my new fox and have been researching different upgrade paths but there is almost too many options.

I want a daily driven car that will push around 350hp. I need it to be reliable and streetable with just some minor gas stomping every now and then. I never go to the track and don't street race. I would like something that is fun to drive and I love the styling of the fox. So some of u may have already seen my post of how I am restoring my car and the interior is taken care of. I already have my mind set on the suspension components but I cant decide on the engine situations.

Restore my old block and rebuild? local builder?
Buy crate engine? ie boss
Rebuild current block and force induction? ie blower
Larger displace swap? ie 351
Stroker kit for current block? 347?

I am at a loss on which direction to go. Suggestions welcome.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Too many options....

A supercharged car is much more streetable than a built engine, I would throw a supercharger on and intercool it and you will be close.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:20 PM
grnsleeper
1st Gear Member

quicktime turbo kit with fuel upgrades. make 400rwhp and drive like stock
Old 01-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Irish5.0
1st Gear Member

If I go forced induction should I get the bottom end rebuilt, leave stock, new internals or just all new gaskets, bearings and plugs?

Should I switch to better heads or just new intake setup. Have to keep the budget in mind. 4k plus whatever labor I can't do myself.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

I would leave the shortblock stock but go through it with new bearings and rings etc. Thenthrow some iron 40s and a steedacamin it.But with that kind of budget your really going to need to find a used supercharged setup. The intercooled setups alone cost over 3 grand.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Irish5.0
1st Gear Member

I saw summit had the vortech and the novi for both around 2200. These of course are not intercooled but they are only at the 5-6psi range. I shouldn't need a cooler for that low of a boost. This is not my total budget and I will continue to upgrade but I need the best start that this unexpected income will bring me. I can add an intercooler in the future if I upgrade to the 9lb pully
Old 01-13-2008, 06:00 PM
grnsleeper
1st Gear Member

quicktime kits come with practically everything u need cept for the necessary fuel upgrades.

if the motor is fine just throw the turbo kit on it. stock motor you can make 400rwhp
Old 01-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Well your going to need to be intercooled and running 12psi to get past 300 at the wheels with stock longblock.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Irish5.0
1st Gear Member

Yeah the more I am reading the more I am tending to agree with you their killer. Think I am going to have the block rebuilt and all new top end put on and just do my heads, intake and exhaust right now with a cam. Then maybe later down the road go with some boost.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

quicktime is local to me. here is a direct quote from the owners of quicktime turbo's

quote:

Greg recieved the car and made some baseline pulls on it. It made 215rwhp. he purchased a kit plus the 255lph high pressure high volume pump from me. He installed it all and straped it back to the rollers. The car has an 8lb spring in the gate. Car then turned around with a very very safe tune and made 444rwhp and 480rwhtq. I just want to say thank you to greg for buying a kit and for doing what he does best. I would hate to see what this completely stock motor is capable of. A few more pounds of boost and I think we could make 500 at the tires. We shall see. As I am putting together a convertible for the street and it will be truely a stock motor with an intake. Greg will get his shot at tuning it and every other car I have or customers of mine. Sorry to ramble.

big thanks to speedydyno

end quote

Quick Reply: Too many options....