5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Engine bay Cleanup

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:00 AM
worm2500
1st Gear Member

Default Engine bay Cleanup

this is in reference to another post a few threads down.

whats the best way to plug all the little holes in the engine compartment.Just slapp some bondo in there or what?i heard some people talk about weldingthem up, but how exactly do you weld a hole, like the one for the air cleaner.iv'e seen engine bays that where so clean it makes me wanna cry.what are all thosevacuume linesconnectedby the firewall? can i get rid of them? alsowhere do they reroutethe brake lines that ran accross thefire wall.where are all the wires?i have tons of questions about this.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Engine bay Cleanup

bondo will not hold in the holes and will crack out...best way is to use a mig welder and weld all the little holes up and grind them flat then use bondo to smooth out all the surfaces..as far as the vaccum line tree you can remove some of the lines but then none of the emissions components will function but if your removing them then it won't matter and as for the brake lines.. just reroute them so they are hidden under a seam or any ledge seen....just gotta be creative
Old 02-02-2008, 09:03 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I would weld all of the holes up and as for the big ones such as the air intake hole yiou have to cut out a piece of metal the size of the hole and tack it all the way around and smooth it out with some bondo or some other filler.
BUT, alot of the ones have the holes that are smaller than a dime are bondoed and everything else has a plate cut to size then welded up.

As for the wiring, some of it is long enough to run inside the fender well and some of it will have to be cut and soldered back together with extra lenths of wire (HINT, do it one wire at a time so you don't get confused).

Relocate that battery to the trunk/hatch witll clean it up alot and help with weight distribution.

If you want some quick and simple clean up pieces just fab up some sheetmetal or aluminum plates like this.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:13 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yes, I know some things are not set up ideal, it is still a work in progress that just sits in my garage. I am getting to it as much as I can. But I attached the plates with some allen head screws and I made the plates back in high school. Just an idea.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:14 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

having problems adding pics, sorry
Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Here is a closeup of my driver side

[IMG]local://upfiles/44049/A8732B8FDD6B46B3B054E395DE9B2DE9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-02-2008, 09:59 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

I just replied to another thread https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=4554426
which might be helpful?

As everyone says weld up the larger holes larger than dime size with a piece of 20ga or 220 ga metal.
As far as hiding wires, and vacuum lines I have a write-up on my site but unfortunately my site is down and will be down for the next month, but if you email me I'll be happy to send you that write up.
If you want to reroute your brake lines so that they are less noticeable you can always route the down and across the K-member is another method.If you need pics and ideas of how to run your wires, vacuum lines and brake line I've got plenty if you need any.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:38 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

almost stock that looks sweet
Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 PM
djh1121
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

almost stock that looks sweet
X2, I could sleep with that thing...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:44 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ALMOST STOCK

I just replied to another thread https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=4554426
which might be helpful?

As everyone says weld up the larger holes larger than dime size with a piece of 20ga or 220 ga metal.
As far as hiding wires, and vacuum lines I have a write-up on my site but unfortunately my site is down and will be down for the next month, but if you email me I'll be happy to send you that write up.
If you want to reroute your brake lines so that they are less noticeable you can always route the down and across the K-member is another method.If you need pics and ideas of how to run your wires, vacuum lines and brake line I've got plenty if you need any.

i would love the address to your site. my emial is codyperry77@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Engine bay Cleanup