5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

DC fan controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:26 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default DC fan controller

Wanting to put a DC fan controller on my Lincoln Mark VIII fan to
help with power surge.

Anyone have a Mark 8 fan and running an aftermarket fan controller that
can handle the 30+amp load of the Mrk8 fan ???
Old 02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Default RE: DC fan controller

I had the cheap one from vato zone. I didnt like it. The wires were extremely small, much smaller than the fans wires, also, the temp probe is kinda cheap. I would get one with a sensor that threads into teh intake like the stocker. IIRC I believe jegs sells a nice unit
Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

I was looking at Dakota Digital's fan controller for my Lincoln fan. It doesn't have any internal relays, so its only limited by whatever size of relay you buy for your fan. It also has lots of other pretty cool features.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:36 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Maxwelhse

I was looking at Dakota Digital's fan controller for my Lincoln fan. It doesn't have any internal relays, so its only limited by whatever size of relay you buy for your fan. It also has lots of other pretty cool features.
Will this control gradually engage the fan ?

So you dont get that wicked 100amp power surge on start up that the Mrk8 fan does ?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

From what I've read; sorta...

Its a 2 speed fan controller (or two, single speed fans). So it can run both sides of the lincoln fan. On my fan, the high speed wire is of much smaller gauge than the regular speed wire, which leads me to believe that lincoln never intended the high speed wire to carry 100A. The low speed should carry the initial jolt of start-up amperage, then the high side should just have to kick it up from lower rpm. So... I'm betting I'll never have trouble with 2 40A relays running the fan (one for each speed).

The only controller I've ever seen that has a true "soft-start" is the DCC one. BUT.. He doesn't answer emails or have an active web page anymore.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 PM
koesterca1
2nd Gear Member

The last I heard the amount of orders he was getting was overwhelming and people where giving him grief about the turnaround time. So he limited his orders to corral.net members that had over a certain number of post counts. If you search over there you could find out the story. I have a DCC unit and I think its worth trying to get one. Although it would be sweeet if the temp probe mounted in the intake.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Found one.

Flex-a-lite makes a hvy duty 40-45 amp VSC unit.
Starts fan at 60% and bumps it up to 100% as temp increases

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 02-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Flex-a-lite variable speed controllers attach on or near the electric fan, sensing coolant temperature via a radiator probe or temperature sending unit. They set fan speed from 60 to 100 percent, depending on the built-in thermostat's setting. The thermostats have a range of 160-220 degrees F. The variable speed controllers allow greater control over engine temperature, which helps to reduce charging spikes and current load on the charging system. They allow a maximum load of 30 amps, and keep the fans running for 30 seconds after your vehicle is turned off.
Hummm... Gotta love how summit contradicts iteself. [:@]

Hurry up and buy one and getting it working the next 4 days before I order my Dakota!
[/align]
Old 02-04-2008, 07:35 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

I called Flex-a-lite. The 33054 controller will work with the Mrk8 fan
its good for 35amps. Everything I've found says Mrk8 fan pulls about 33amps on high.

Found a guy on Corral.net that is using one for 6 months now with out issue
on his Mrk8 install.

Ordered one already for next day delv., will be on the car by tomorrow afternoon

will let you know .................................................. .............
Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Did they say anything about A/C speed step-up or over ride wire?

Quick Reply: DC fan controller