5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Engine Mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:18 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Mount

NO! believe me you do not want the stock engine mounts for that car. that was the biggest problem, and cheapest thing they put on those cars. not even just the mustangs, but most models ford made between 86/93. you could probably get 60k-80k miles out of them, which may seem like a lot, but you want mounts that will last the life of your engine, and especially if it's a daily driver. like was said earlier, get poly mounts. I drove around with a broken transmission mount for years on my 93. and it broke not long after i replaced my clutch and already had the trans pulled out. then eventually the one to the motor went, but it lasted a lot longer than i thought it would being the the trans mount probably was bad 15k miles earlier, and the horsepower the car put out. i didn't even change them until when i was putting in the new motor. seriously these mounts just plain SUCKED! i have never changed a motor/trans mount on any other vehicle i owned except for when i put a new transmission in the 93 camaro i had, and yeah when i had to put a new 5.0 in, and when i put a 396 in my 86 chevy custom deluxe 20 truck. the ones on my 73 mach 1 had 150k miles, and i never changed them. they were made out of steel. same with most trucks i've had. i had one friend talk about how when his motor mounts went on his 90 lx he replaced them with new rubber mounts. he liked the 'cushy' feel of the rubber, and not the roughness of the poly or solids. everyone i knew who had one of these cars from that time had to change their mounts. some other than others. a lot around as little as 60k. i did them for a guy i worked with on his 1990 mercury topaz, and they had the same mounts, and they were bad at 60k something.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:37 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

allright thanks, but how would it have actually broken? and the stock mounts werent solid mounts were they?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pk222

allright thanks, but how would it have actually broken? and the stock mounts werent solid mounts were they?
Like this... (STOCK 5.0 5 speed with 78,000 miles)

And yes.. Get Prothanes... I'm very happy with mine and they are a good bit less expensive than the ES mounts. They're very high quality.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:40 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

yeah mine looked way worse 170xxx miles though i too bought the prothane poly mounts 100 bucks well spent
Old 02-09-2008, 02:58 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

Mine dont look like that at all. Mine have no rubber in them at all, their completly solid metal mounts. and the actual metal on the mount is sheared off.
I think that the mounts i got from my local auto parts dealer are right but then i think i might be missing some kind of plate because that doesn't look at all like the one thats on there. I'll try to post pics tomarrow.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

The picture I showed you is how a stock 1991 5.0 mount looks; when broken. That's the passenger side.

Some of the autoparts stores sell just the rubber inserts (I've only seen them in the online catalog). Maybe they sold you those?

Seriously though... Spend the $100 and get the prothane mounts. You won't be sorry.

Prothane:

Old 02-09-2008, 05:56 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

dumba$$ at the dealer near me charged me a $20 restocking fee to return the engine mounts he gave me that didnt have the mount from the engine mount to the engine. retard
Old 02-09-2008, 10:03 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

haha my stock mounts looked even worse than that when i pulled the motor! they were deteriorated.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

I believe you guys saying your mounts were worse... BUT... I wasn't going to just let it sit there and keep getting worse when it was clearly already shot.

So, what did ya do pk? Order protane mounts yet?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

ya i ordered the prothane mounts.
I ordered them from summit and their supposed to be here tuesday.
Where should i lift my engine from? I know I should get a cherry picker but I dont have one and to get my friends would be a pain, were can i jack it up from? If i need to get the cherry picker I will but It would be way easier if I could just jack it up.

And my mounts win the cup for worst, their sheared off from 2 separate bolt holes lol

Quick Reply: Engine Mount