5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

PAINT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: PAINT!!!!

ORIGINAL: 89gt347

Not trying to highjack your thread, but has anyone tried that new duplicolor paint that is premixed? I have not heard anything about it yet and was just wondering.
It is a lacquerer paint and won't give you the best results. A guy on here used it and it turned out ok, but there are better options out the for about the same cost. Use an acrylic enamel, you will be happier.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 PM
89gt347
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

ORIGINAL: 89gt347

Not trying to highjack your thread, but has anyone tried that new duplicolor paint that is premixed? I have not heard anything about it yet and was just wondering.
It is a lacquerer paint and won't give you the best results. A guy on here used it and it turned out ok, but there are better options out the for about the same cost. Use an acrylic enamel, you will be happier.
Yeah, I figured it was like a spray paint. I was not going to use it for exterior, I just wanted to know some more about it. (I hate playing guinea pig!!) I might consider using it to spray the underside though.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:04 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Just to give you some food for thought I was in your situation a while back now, I am just starting my second metal up paint job. I read hundreds of articles at the forums at www.autobody101.com on prepping, filling, straight panels, block sanding, what products to use, etc. I bet I spent more time reading and trying techniques than actual work. But to give you some motivation this is the final product that cam out

Reflection of Paint:

Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

so what did you do??? Paint , techniques,etc
Old 02-26-2008, 07:47 AM
hemi_04d
2nd Gear Member

I second the comments on using an AE... If you go two stage and have to sand out orange peel or fish eyes chances are you will get to corner of body line and break through the clear and have to re clear that panel to get it right.

Just take you time and do the prep work right and when you are doing the painting keep the gun at an equal distance the whole length of the car if not you could get runs that way also. I like to take the extra step of checking your spray pattern of your gun if you have to stop for any reason just to make sure it didn't get gunked up when you stopped.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 AM
DJ19895.0
2nd Gear Member

+1 for autobody101.com. I read painting articles for countless hours before I did my paint job. O, make sure u leave plenty of time for the project, and take your time with it, it took me around 350 hours to do mine because it was my first paint job. I came out great though, check out my cardomain page 2 for the process. Good luck and have fun. It fees great telling people that YOU painted your own car.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:55 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanglx2002

so what did you do??? Paint , techniques,etc
I used all ppg products, so in a nutshell.

-Blasted 40 grit over the entire car, used aircraft paint remover to get all the paint down to metal
-shot 2-3 coast of Epoxy Primer over metal
-did all my bondo work
-laid 8 coast high biuld primer, guide coating and blocking after every 2 coast
-sealed the high build, wet sanded entire car with 800 grit
-Laid the basecoast, sprayed 4 coats of clear
-Cut the clear with 500 wet
-Laid my final 4 layers of clear
-Wet sand the ENTIRE car startingwith 1500
-Cut, and buffed with meguires buffing systems

Vioala
Old 02-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Cocolroo

Default get real guys!

Dont give this guy false hope.There is too much to learrn to give an online crash course
It will look like $%#*if you dont know what your doing and you will regret it.
At least do all the prep and then take it to Maaco for $250.00 and get a decent job.
I repeat if you dont know what your doing and have never painted you will #$%&* up a nice car.
Or if youre going to DIY practice in a dummy car but dont make your Nice mustang a practce car.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

Default RE: get real guys!

one tip I've seen on tv is to make sure you don't stop right at a panel edge. Such as going from a front fender to the door, continue past the edge of the door maybe 6", if not you will end up building too much paint right at that door edge, or missing some.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Default RE: get real guys!

Sounds like he has a test peice to practice on. I say go for it! Everybody starts somewhere.

Quick Reply: PAINT!!!!