5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

They really don't know!!!!! Updated W/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 03:02 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Default They really don't know!!!!! Updated W/Pics

How many people on here actually have done a 4cyl. to V8 swap? I am doing it with a 347 with a C4 behind it and have nothing but crazy problems with the swap. Am I the only one with these simular problemsor do those others either have help or buy it allready done? I just can't believe that as many people do this as I once thought because I live in a small town and I am having hell with everything I touch about this car. I once thought of myself as one hell of a mechanic, now I find myself as bieng one hell of a parts changer. I cannot focus 100% on this project as my family is large and doesn't allow me lots of one on one time with it unless I just take it out of the family's time frame. That must be the problem cause I have been involved with the automotive industry all my life. Any pointers or clues, please send them my way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/66271/1B3430261A974640A01F5ED28AC58CED.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-18-2008, 03:27 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: They really don't know!!!!!

What problems are you having?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:36 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Man I have had so many problems, i wouldn't know where to begin. It has been one thing after another that not fit or work. In the mornig I plan on doin an Aluminum driveshaft installation on it. I fear that it too will be a shocker if all goes right
Old 04-18-2008, 05:34 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Hey Big Chris....haven't got that beast running yet?? I can't help unless you tell us specifics, but good luck with it all. I want to hear how them tires hook for ya
Old 04-20-2008, 09:40 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I did mount the tires and install them on the car, man do they look awesome, Thanks Kyle!! It took me 4hrs of searching to find the 165/80/15" for the front runners the other day. I did the driveshaft installation and it went together like butter, It couldn't havegone better. I am having to run all over the place to find the correct bolts for all this stuff. I couldn't make the starter fit the other day, so I guess I am going to buy a mini starter. I still have to set up my shifter cable and find the correct two bolts for the tranny mount that goes to the crossmember from the bottom of the Prothane mount. I'mgoing to pick up 2 bolts in the morning to finish my waterpump install and the I will need to try and hang an Alternator. More cursing I presume, but in the long run I am still making foward progressin so I guess that is all that matters. I have all kinds of ball game practices and games to tend to during the week and weekends so I just can only get an hour here and there on it, but it is coming together. I will ask the Warden for her camera and see if I can get some pics of my progression.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

More Pic's

[IMG]local://upfiles/66271/ECF9888D15C9414489CB01A1CB69EC6E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

hmmmm not sure why it has been so tough on you but the green 92 in my sig was a 4 cyl to 5.0 swap and it is a carbed 302 ...an 85 gt was used as a donor for the project and swap went smooth but then again anytime I needed a part I just walked out to the car and grabbed it
Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 PM
chazmcgee
1st Gear Member

I am just into the goodness of this swap. I only had to go to homedepot 3 times for misc bolts. Alls thats needed to make it run
Spark-MSD Box/Plugs/wires/dizzy/coil
Fuel-Carb/Gas tank/Fuel Pump/Regulator/fuel line
Ignition/Starter

I just got my car running for under 200$ alls i need to drive is
Driveshaft(c4 powered)
radiator
Fan
Belt

I ran into maybe 2 problems but it was technique related:
it was the first engine i put in
using a cheeter bar did me wonders

dude pm me with whatever you want to know and ill tell you with whats up on my car.

I have a 91 4cyl hatch body
Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I put on a set of 1 3/4" primary long tube headers, starter won't fit. My speedo cable won't fit into the C4 tailhousing, must go find another one. I don't have a donor car to rob the correct bolts from. I truely think this is why I am having such a rough time. The first car I built was an 85 and I had parts for days on the shelves in the shop for them. I had since years ago sold all my car stuff and swore that I was never going to build another. I went to one pinks all-out show and the rest is history. I did put a sump in my factory tank, just havn't hung it under the car yet, but I don't expect any problems with it. All I have left is to run my fuel line, tranny cooler lines, set up my shifter cable and run power for my transbrake,set up my MSD ignition and hang a starter and altenator, terminate all the wiring and it will be done. I know it's still a good two solid days away from being done, but the car has came so far in the last week, so much more than a year ago when I purchased the car body. I am just ready for it to be done. Now my job is wanting me to take a supervisors position which means a little more pay and a little less time off. Got alot going on around the house and can't get enough devoted time to the car.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

man sounds rough but it s=sounds like u are almost done stick with it and get er done

Quick Reply: They really don't know!!!!! Updated W/Pics