5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Question About Quad Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Explosive

Default Question About Quad Shocks

I''d have used the search button but it''s broke [:@]

Alright. On our car we installed quad shocks since it didn''t have them before. On the drivers side the shock seems way to close to the tire, you can''t fit your fingers inbetween the two and you can on the passengers side. Any suggestions ?

Also if it matters, we have Steeda control arms on the rear.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Question About Quad Shocks

You dont need them if you have aftermarket control arms, did you try to flip them
Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Explosive

No we haven't tried flipping them yet. I think the top of the shock is wider so it would probably just be worse.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

People will flip them to help fit biggertires. But like stang8689said, you dont need them if you have aftermarket control arms. I got rid of my quad shocks as soon as I put in new control arms
Old 07-09-2008, 01:04 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

you can just get rid of them there is no point to have them when you have aftermarket control arms. how big of a tire do you have in the back anyway
Old 07-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350
there is no point to have them when you have aftermarket control arms.
This is quite true if for drag racing, esp if the bushings in the aftermarket control arms are less compliant as they usually are
Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

you can just get rid of them there is no point to have them when you have aftermarket control arms. how big of a tire do you have in the back anyway
exactly, ford put them on to eliminate wheelhop due to the crappy stock stamped steel control arms.

but a good set of upper and lowers will eliminate the wheel hop also. you can keep them on there, but its not gonna hurt to take them off since you have better control arms.

(I am running 245s on my Pony rims and I dont have any rubbing and some space between the sidewall and the shock.)
Old 07-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Just want to make sure its understood that for drag racing throwing quads away and installing aftermarket control arms with hard or metal bushings is OK but dont forget that there is a REASON those bushings were so soft!!! Ford did it on purpose for a bandaid fix for the bind the built-in geometry contridiction between upper and lower arms if you install soild bushings and drive on the street agressively you can very easily crash becasue of the car suddenly deciding where it wants to go in the middle of a turn.
Lets review the contridictions we are in the midst of1) desire to remove quad shocks that help control wheel hop
2) now control wheel hop by changing factory compliance of rear suspension that helps to control dangerous suspension geometry problems

A solution aside from getting new quads for the fox is to get the edlebrock or currie upper control arms because they pivot, but IMO you should also have at least one end of all 4 control arms be rubber or poly
-http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm
When the car leans (rolls) in a turn, one side of the chassis moves upward relative to the rear axle, the other side moves downward, and these non-parallel control arms must twist and change length axially to allow the axle to articulate. This causes the control arm bushings to bind. If this bind becomes excessive, it can raise the rear wheel rate and produce sudden, undesireable changes in handling (e.g., snap oversteer).
Ford minimizes this suspension bind by using compliant rubber bushings in both the upper and lower control arms. These relatively "soft" bushings acommodate the necessary motion of the control arms during body roll. However, they also permit wheel hop on hard launches and horizontal axle deflection in aggressive turns. Axle dampers (quad shocks) were installed on V8 Mustangs to eliminate this wheel hop, but nothing was done by Ford to cure the horizontal axle deflection. That deflection is responsible for the "tail-wagging" sensation well known to anyone who has driven a late model Mustang aggressively.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Explosive

I'd have used the search button but it's broke [:@]

Alright. On our car we installed quad shocks since it didn't have them before. On the drivers side the shock seems way to close to the tire, you can't fit your fingers inbetween the two and you can on the passengers side. Any suggestions ?

Also if it matters, we have Steeda control arms on the rear.
remove them.......in theroy they say it will cause your car to have adverse handling characteristics[:'(]........been there done that.....got 275's on the rear of mine and an f-150 thought it was gonna force me to go slow so when I tried to pass him he sped up[&:]stupid fool.......he didn't stand a chance so once I passed him he decided he would tail gate me really close and the road to my house is very windy=curves...........man did she handle great.....even with skinnies on the front.... but then again my suspension is far from stock...after removing quads... I did add a panhard bar but for different reasons...so flip them or remove them....it won't hurt you as bad as some may believe
Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i removed mine and installed upr control arms and strange shocks and went out and it wheel hopped like a son of a . so i came home and got underneath and the shocks were on the softest setting ,so took off sway bar and adjusted shocks and went back out and it planted or just fryed the tiresso now i also got a set of nitto 275's to replace the stock 10 holes with the stocker tires onand it should have no more wheel hop.

Quick Reply: Question About Quad Shocks