5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Is this replacable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Default Is this replacable?

The panel between my hood and the windshield is pretty beat. The hood flew up when the previous owner had it and it's bent. I can also tell that it has been repaired at least once before. I want to know if it's removable so it can be repaired the right way or replaced all together. I don't wanna go drilling out spot welds and attacking it with the air hammer without knowing for sure.

The red circled area is what I'm talking about....and as you can tell from the pic, it has seen better days.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Dazzalad
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is this replacable?

Yes, it is not that uncommon the replace it.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:04 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

sure is you will need to pull the windshield to get to some of the spot welds. and you really should pull the dash before you weld is back in but you may get by with out doing that if you want to take the risk of fire. fenders will also need to come off it is not that bad to get off. Ford also don't sell them any more so it is used or repair the one you have
Old 07-13-2008, 02:30 PM
crueheadstang87
3rd Gear Member

Yes it is replaceable, but yours looks like it is still repairable without having to cut the old one out. You can use a spot pin welder and ****** bar to work the metal back up , then hammer and dolly it as straight as you can( you cant get to the drivers side to do this though) then wipe it with some plastic filler and block sand it, prime it, block it again with some 180 or 220, reprime it, block it with 400 the respray it. The same thing happened to my 87 last year and i repaired it that way, i do automotive painting for a living it it was a fairly easy job for me and you can probabley do it easily too. but like the others said if you want to cut the old one out and replace it you need to pull the windsheild and maybe even the dash. Hope i helped you a little and if you need any help feel free to pm me anytime or e-mail me!
Old 07-14-2008, 06:15 PM
crueheadstang87
3rd Gear Member

bump
Old 07-14-2008, 09:22 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

^^Good advice
Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate all the feedback...between my dad and I we got it pretty well straight. The car isn't gonna be a show car so I wasn't aiming for perfection.

On a side note, I bought my paint this week and the car should be getting some color this weekend.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:50 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

It looks like the motor could use a little cleaning up also! Get some pics up when you have the car painted (i'm guessing blue).
Old 08-23-2008, 03:52 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1985stang
It looks like the motor could use a little cleaning up also! Get some pics up when you have the car painted (i'm guessing blue).

The motor is coming out soon and will be getting treated to a full rebuild and a Trick Flow Twisted Wedge top end kit so getting it all shined up isn't too high on the priority list right now but I will give it some attention here before too long.

There will be pics aplenty after it gets some color(and yes, you guessed right on the blue) What gave it away?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:48 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

oh ok, that makes sense. i wouldn't clean the engine up either if i could throw some new parts on it.

Quick Reply: Is this replacable?