5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

*UPDATE**maybe the third time will be the charm.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default *UPDATE**maybe the third time will be the charm.

picked the car up from the tuner today. I kind of thought something wasn't right when my dyno sheet read 313rwhp. went a WHOPPING 31 miles and it started ticking/knocking again[:@] oil pressure was fine, temp was fine, was running fine, doing 70mph on the highway at 2400rpms, didn't take the car over 3500 since i got in it from the tuner. I have no idea what it is, and a 280 dollar tow bill later the cars finally home, tear down will start tomorrow. i pulled the coil wire off and turned it over and i didn't hear any knocking, so maybe its just a pushrod or a lifter, something easy. if it wasn't for my dad helping me thru this financially this car WOULD be up for sale right now. God i feel like i should of just thru a s/c on the old 302 right now. [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MAYBE THE THIRD TIME WILL BE THE CHARM!

that blows dude. hopefully a rocker went loose or something simple
Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

dang dude.........what the crap is going on!!!! did they give you a baseline on the a/f mixture?? if it blew again as a result of it detonating due to lean mixture then they should of picked up on that on the dyno and if they didn't they should be held responsible...cause didn't you bring it to them to solve that issue??...anyway just speculation....hope it's something simple...good luck
Old 07-31-2008, 11:19 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I want to see a full parts list breakdown of everything in your valvetrain... if you dont want to share it publicly, PM me... I have a hunch
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

whats the hunch I know exactly whats in the valvetrain
Old 07-31-2008, 11:24 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

At this point... Im thinking that ctgreddy needs to just send you the entire motor back, and let YOU build it.... so nothing gets installed incorrectly
Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

At this point... Im thinking that ctgreddy needs to just send you the entire motor back, and let YOU build it.... so nothing gets installed incorrectly
Thats how the first one was, I built the entire thing minus intake, pan and accesories, he blew it up. I redid the shortblock ONLY. His original block was junk as it dragged alot of piston down the #5 cylinder. I remachined a new block, new pistons, new rings, new bearings and sent him a short, they did the rest of it. if it wasnt for bad luck, he wouldnt have anything. Its in the valvetrain adjustment guaranteed
Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: woodsy

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Thats how the first one was, I built the entire thing minus intake, pan and accesories, he blew it up. I redid the shortblock ONLY. His original block was junk as it dragged alot of piston down the #5 cylinder. I remachined a new block, new pistons, new rings, new bearings and sent him a short, they did the rest of it. if it wasnt for bad luck, he wouldnt have anything. Its in the valvetrain adjustment guaranteed
i agree with this
Old 08-01-2008, 01:57 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

yep it sounds like something rocker/pushrod oriented ,what kind of pushrods are u using , and damn dude what the hell is going on and only 313 rwhp on your 347 damn i know my little 306 is pushing that or a little more.....

and wasnt it a well known tuner...?

ahh dude you need to sit back and relax and get someones help or something to set it up right or ...you and your dad are going to go broke for this 313 rwhp motor....
Old 08-01-2008, 05:28 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

So what could i have done wrong with the valvetrain? this was the first time i put pushrods/rockers in a car but it seemed pretty straight forward to me It sounds much different then last time so i'm sure its not due to detenation. what should i be looking for when i pull the v/c's? will something be obvious?

last time the knocking came out of nowhere and was just there. this time it knocked for a second, stopped for a second, knocked for 2 seconds, stopped for a few, knocked for a few more seconds then stopped again, then wen't constant and thats when i put it in neutral, turned it off and pulled over. thats what makes me think something wen't loose.

Quick Reply: *UPDATE**maybe the third time will be the charm.