5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:40 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

Default Nitrous

Hey just wondering on your thoughts. I wanna spray my stock motor. It has forged internals correct? I want to get a cam and RR's, it will be tuned for it, i was thinking of a full throttle switch. What else should I do? Any thoughts? Really don't know anything about nitrous setups
Old 09-07-2008, 07:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by grnstang
Hey just wondering on your thoughts. I wanna spray my stock motor. It has forged internals correct? I want to get a cam and RR's, it will be tuned for it, i was thinking of a full throttle switch. What else should I do? Any thoughts? Really don't know anything about nitrous setups
get a wet kit, purge kit, and bottle heater and a gauge to see what pressure is at so you know if you need to switch on the bottle heater in order to raise bottle pressure to optimal range of 900 psi or above, heck this past summer I cracked my bottle after car was setting in the sun and it was close to 1200..at 1200 it'll hit hard but I never run pressure up that high generally the bottle heater has a temp sensitive switch that cuts off heater when bottle reaches 85 degrees
Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

alright, sweet. so you think it's a good idea for me to spray it? is it safe?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Yes heater, gauge, are a must. Wet kits are supreme but it does come down to your wallet, whether you want it hooked to the TB for full throttle on or a button where you can grab it when you want it makes no difference it works great either way, i have mine on the TB where i dont get antsy and smoke the the tires, i had it on a button to start with and it was too tempting to grab it too soon, for me it is easier to control my foot than my hand, it is really a preferance thing.

a tune isnt a must but it is a good idea i dont have a tune and mine works great, i just have to manually adjust my timing which if you dont go over 150 you can do it on 10* and 93 oct, any higher and i suddest a timing control of some sort, if you have a 96 or later you can just about spray what you want the computer will add and subtract timing more efficient than the obd1 cars, plate kits are the best option.

I have the TFX kit for my trickflow topend, i dont have a tune i did get the bottle heater purge and accessories kits! if i can help any just send me a pm! well now that i read your whole list i know what you have duh!! 150 will be fine on 10*

Last edited by Venomantidote95; 09-07-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

alright, sweet. so you think it's a good idea for me to spray it? is it safe?
you'll be fine just spray a 100 shot and things won't get out of hand!!
Old 09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

alright good. i'll probably get a 70 mm TB and maybe a bigger MAF and intake itself. along with the nitrous setup and cam.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:19 AM
brynfiv

alright good. i'll probably get a 70 mm TB and maybe a bigger MAF and intake itself. along with the nitrous setup and cam.
The bigger TB and maf meter would be a nice compliment, but keep in mind it's not a necesity. Nitrous brings its own oxygen. I've heard alot of great things about comp cam's nitrous hp cams. They make good power with or without the bottle.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:34 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

a window switch would be good too
Old 09-09-2008, 03:14 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

10* timing, highest octane pump fuel you can get, 1 step colder NGK plugs, get a 190lb fuel pump (just to be sure your old one is up to par)

id start with a 75shot, then move up to 100shot, 100shot for me is really nice, i really enjoy it.

but heres a warning from my personal experence.

my valve springs where weak, and had some valve float going on, so i got a backfire into my intake, all it did was pop the intake gasket, but its something you might wanna think about.

id recomend a tear down, replace the head gaskets with 1011-2 felpro gaskets, get your valve springs checked while your in there, and replace your intake gaskets (dont use that cork crap)

heck, if your car looks mostly stock, id hide the nozzel under the intake tube, mount the silinoids under the fender, and make it real stealth.

nitrous is fun, but if your car's not set up right, you could be in for trouble.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:41 AM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

alright, thanks. i'lll make sure and look into all of that

Quick Reply: Nitrous