5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What the??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 PM
thrty5thsc
1st Gear Member

Default What the??

Hey fellas, What's poppin? I need your expert advise. What the hell is going on with my distributor cap? It's only 3 months old (MSD) and I got all this build up on it. I can clean it today and it comes back in a day or 2. I got a brand new MSD coil, MSD spark plug wires and Bosch fusion spark plugs. I can't seem to get this car to run as good as it should. I changed the tps but It still has an idle problem. Up and down by a few hundred RPM's. It seems to have a mis fire at idle and when decellerating. Also loss of power when accellerating. Probably from the problem with the cap. In the last 3 months I changed the tps, egr, egr sensor, fpr, fuel injectors, cap, rotor, plugs and wires, coil, and 02 sensors.

I also just put a set of shorties, h pipe and flowmasters on it. I can't seem to get the h pipe to seal to the h pipe. I bought fel pro gasket set and it came with 2 header gaskets flange gaskets and 2 donut gaskets. I thought these cars don't use any gaskets other than head to header?
Attached Thumbnails What the??-dscf5342.jpg   What the??-dscf5358.jpg   What the??-dscf5345.jpg  
Old 10-14-2008, 10:44 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

whats your timing set at. ALso check all the grounds on the car.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:15 PM
thrty5thsc
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure but i think it's at 10 deg. My timing light broke when i was setting it, so I had to put it back where I started. I did find a bad ground wire yesterday going from the battery to the the fender area. I changed it. Just cleaned the cap. I'm gonna put it on in the morning and see how it is. Maybe that new ground wire will make a difference.
Thanks!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

make sure the egr valve pintle is not partially hanging open due to carbon build up, you'd have to remove it and inspect operation and pintle for build up
Old 10-14-2008, 11:47 PM
thrty5thsc
1st Gear Member

egr and sensor is brand new. changed it 2 or 3 months ago.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

get a timing light that works on it, no guessing with that, even if you think you got it back where it was it still can be off 3-4 degrees, remember to remove spout when setting base. also I wouldn't have put that type of plug in it either, autolite 25's =standard copper core resistor plug is what your cars system was designed to operate on
Old 10-15-2008, 10:05 AM
kaggriff
1st Gear Member

would sure get rid of the bosch plugs. the 5.0 are known for blistering the porcelain. I would check those also even if it has just been a few months
Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 PM
thrty5thsc
1st Gear Member

I think I found the problem. I talked to some hot rod guys around here and they said it sounds like the coil. I think the coil wasn't getting a good enough ground because the wire that goes from the chassis to the battery was broken and holding on by a strand of wire. I fixed that and cleaned the cap off today. It runs great now. Nice and smooth with plenty of power. No more putting and missing. You think i should change the plugs? the fusions cost me 8 bucks a piece. They are platinum and iridium combined. I'll pull them and see what they look like tomarrow.

What should I set my timing at. Yup I know about the spout. Good call though, alot of people don't know about that. I will barrow a light tomarrow. I'm all stock except for the headers, H pipe and flowmasters. I do also have the newer style injectors with the four holes. Still 19lb as i still have speed density for now.

Thanks alot everyone!

Last edited by thrty5thsc; 10-15-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thrty5thsc
I think I found the problem. I talked to some hot rod guys around here and they said it sounds like the coil. I think the coil wasn't getting a good enough ground because the wire that goes from the chassis to the battery was broken and holding on by a strand of wire. I fixed that and cleaned the cap off today. It runs great now. Nice and smooth with plenty of power. No more putting and missing. You think i should change the plugs? the fusions cost me 8 bucks a piece. They are platinum and iridium combined. I'll pull them and see what they look like tomarrow.

What should I set my timing at. Yup I know about the spout. Good call though, alot of people don't know about that. I will barrow a light tomarrow. I'm all stock except for the headers, H pipe and flowmasters. I do also have the newer style injectors with the four holes. Still 19lb as i still have speed density for now.

Thanks alot everyone!

yeah, change the plugs.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:53 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

change to autolite #25 gapped to .50-.52 timing base is 10*, i usually put mine at 13* and call it good.

but deff change your plugs.