5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

new guy here

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 AM
revolution9

Default new guy here

greetings all,

new guy here, but not to stangs. i had a '89 5.0 GT with headers, rockers, intake, h-pipe, macs subframe conn', and lowered. i am in the market for a '90-'93 5.0 notch, so i figured i'd join the site. i've been shopping around and found some nice mostly stock ones which i would be able to warm up a bit. the notch would be my daily driver so i dont want to make it too hot.

thanks for having me.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:19 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

WELCOME TO MF, good to have you here! post some pics up, lets see the fox!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 PM
revolution9

noooo, in the market for one. will post pics when i buy one. the GT info WAS a stang' i had owned. i'm looking into '90-'93 5.0 notches.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:19 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you should get 89-92. forged internals. 89 has tilt steer no air bag. 90-93 has fix steering colum with airbag. 93 has hyper pistons which suck for power adders.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:45 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
93 has hyper pistons which suck for power adders.
i beg to differ
hypers dont suck.....
don't believe hype from people who've just "heard" about things on the internet
Old 11-24-2008, 01:04 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

im not talkin about hype. i know they can be used for power adders....with a proper tune and precautions. for the typical racer who doesnt know a ton about tuning cars and throws on a blower or nitrous will ruin the pistons. also they arent as good in general for a power adder, you know that forged is a better choice,.....yea hyper pistons work just fine.....but why risk it for the hassle? just get something thats forged in the first place.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:02 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

i dont like forged. mainly cause they dont fit as tight and will wear out my motor faster. and if you get some good hypers they do good, i run hypers in my 95 and i'm gonna end up slapping a turbo on it later
Old 11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
revolution9

not too many options when looking for a notch in good stock condition. thanks for the info on the pistons. i used to have a stack of muscle mustangs & fast fords knee high so i'm pretty knowledgeable on them. i'm no mechanic or genuis but i can turn a wrench. i'm actually an airbrush artist and will be doing the hood. if you'd like to check my work this is my website: www.revolutioncustompaint.com .if thats not kool with this site moderators feel free to delete the link.

i plan on using this as my daily so i dont want to add too much to it, and i wont be slamming gears/racing/etc. i like the car for it's pick up and handling in traffic. just want something that'll get out its own way. i'll add some basic bolt ons just to pep it up a bit but that's all, and some handling stuff.

but, any info is appreciated. i look forward to hangin' for a while.

sincerely,
Old 11-24-2008, 04:20 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

well while we're here, what kinda power rage you lookin to hit?
cause bolt on stock cars wont be much really, but toss some gt-40 stuff at it and it'll have a good amount of pep for the cost. i'd say if you dont want extreme then grab some of that stuff. i have my 95 as my dd but i just like to march to the beat of my own drum, so i'm not putting gt-40 stuff on it.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:37 PM
revolution9

CAI, bigger throttle body, bigger air meter, intake, headers, and mufflers. for the body a strut tower brace, and sub frame connectors. for suspension some performance lowering springs.

just a daily driver.

i have a suzuki Hayabusa 0-60 in 2.3 seconds, 0-100 in 3 seconds, so just a peppy daily driver's good for "me".

Last edited by revolution9; 11-24-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: new guy here