5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:18 AM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

Default winter storage

gonna be putting my 86 gt away for the winter but wanted to know if u guys had any tips to do before i put it away, i dont have a garage so its gonna be parked outside i was thinking putting the wheels on blocks and put fuel treatment in the tank and double rapping the car with tarps.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:37 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

i dont know how much it helps but one thing i started doing last year is going over all the weatherstripping with either some type of armor all wipes or mothers back to black or something like that just to help prevent the rubber from drying out and getting hard and cracking also i forget what they are called but there like lil sand bags , you just leave them in the car and they help suck up any moisture in the car : o)

Last edited by ponyboy302; 12-20-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:39 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65coupe88hatch
gonna be putting my 86 gt away for the winter but wanted to know if u guys had any tips to do before i put it away, i dont have a garage so its gonna be parked outside i was thinking putting the wheels on blocks and put fuel treatment in the tank and double rapping the car with tarps.
What's the weather like where you are and how long will it sit idle?
Old 12-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I'd also change your oil & filter, pump up the tires to 40psi and fill the tank with fuel & the stabilizer...
Old 12-20-2008, 07:08 AM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

what ever you do do not use tarps! i did on my classic once and the wind actually rubbed the tarp against the paint and it acted like fine sandpaper and took the paint down to the primer in spots! i could of cried it was that bad. take my very bad and very expensive leson and learn from it. wolf makes some very good car covers i now use(readily available from summit) outdoors and they work period! and plug all external holes like exhaust pipes to keep all the critters out.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timspony
I'd also change your oil & filter, pump up the tires to 40psi and fill the tank with fuel & the stabilizer...
Can someone please explain why the oil/filter change is so paramount considering whatever oil is in the motor during the duration will sit idle in the pan and filter anyway? Whatever viscosity new oil has, even running the car at length prior to storage will surely drip away leaving components exposed to moisture. Unless your oil is scortched I don't really see the big advantage in doing so. But I was wrong once so please explain...
Old 12-20-2008, 07:25 AM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

i run royal purple synthetic, n illl be damned if im gonna drain it and buy new oil to let it sit nah uhh. been doin it for years and never had problems with leting oil sit for a couple of months. but thats me
Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

You really don't want old acidic oil sitting in the crankcase, pan, etc. ...IMO Clean oil is better over the winter/safe protection

....If you have RP in only a few miles you might keep it...I change in the spring & when I put up for the winter...
Old 12-20-2008, 09:12 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

don't worry about changing the oil, you'll be fine in PA for the 3-4 months max maybe that it'll be wrapped up, but I wouldn't use a tarp, you need a car cover that can breath to allow moisture to escape, my 66 sits in my garage most all winter and hasn't had the oil changed in months but it only has a 1000 miles if that on it, add some fuel stabalizer and once a month maybe try and start it and let it warm up
Old 12-20-2008, 09:38 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

move to phoenix, BAM problems solved. No more salty roads, no more pot holes, WINDOWS DOWN AND RADIO UP!!!!!

Quick Reply: winter storage