5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Dissapointment...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default Dissapointment...

Got the stang back from the shop last night... several hundred dollars later... needed a brand new fuel tank... the original was rusted on the seam.... I guess it served its duty for 17-18 years.. they also had to replace one piece of the fuel line.... got my new Walbro pump in everything is sorta happy....

except...

shop cant weld on my subframe connectors yet... they forgot that their welding guy was going on vacation or something...

AND... when I moved my car today... I noticed it smelled a lil gassy.... fuel gassy... so I backed it up and moved it over, and glistening on my wet driveway was a lil rainbow stream.... touched my hand to it, and it smelled like raw fuel...

so I stuck cardboard underneath it and saw that fuel is infact dripping from in front of the tank.... wonderful....

now I cant use the damn thing till monday cuz its leaking fuel and I have to take it back in to the shop... better not get charged...
Old 12-27-2008, 12:44 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

No way they will charge to fix something they just installed improperly
Old 12-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

thats good to know, my mechanic is a nice guy as well... I passed inspection with my O/R pipe...

my connectors wont be going on till feb/earlymarch... cuz I wont be back home from school till then...
Old 12-27-2008, 01:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by USMC1775
No way they will charge to fix something they just installed improperly
how in the "F" DO YOU KNOW THAT'S THE CASE?????..........often times when working on rusty crap it's hard not to disturb the rest of the rust ace lines and when going back together pending on how rusty the lines were, just disturbing them a little could of flaked of a piece of rust and started a new leak...or the piece they had to install/replace may not be sufficient, before making assumptions wait and see what the cause is.
personally after such a repair I put the car on a lift and let it run and inspect for leaks, hopefully they did such
Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

^^^^ Yeah

We technicians take the blame for enough stuff that isn't our fault. Give them a chance to check it out before making assumptions it was the guys working on it's fault. Like blaming the tech because your lug studs broke off when we take the wheel off to do a brake job while youve been backing that rust bucket in the river for four years unloading your boat.lol
Old 12-27-2008, 01:56 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
how in the "F" DO YOU KNOW THAT'S THE CASE?????..........often times when working on rusty crap it's hard not to disturb the rest of the rust ace lines and when going back together pending on how rusty the lines were, just disturbing them a little could of flaked of a piece of rust and started a new leak...or the piece they had to install/replace may not be sufficient, before making assumptions wait and see what the cause is.
personally after such a repair I put the car on a lift and let it run and inspect for leaks, hopefully they did such
Come on guys you know the Tech screwed it all up!!!! and that other guy has a crystal ball seeing all and knowing all. Now just give us the lotto numbers....LOL yea working rusted stuff just SUCKS and anything can happen but if that is the case the Tech should have brought it to the customers attention also... LOL been there done that Right !!!??
Old 12-27-2008, 03:41 PM
5.0muscle
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation

i hope she isnt still dripping or youll have an even bigger problem. that tank should be emptied now not later
Old 12-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Explosive

lol, before i got my new impact my old one just wouldn't take this one lug nut off on a tire, so I'm like F this and grabbed my co-workers 1100 ft lb matco impact, that stud snapped right off lol...
Old 12-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

sorry guys...

I didnt mean to offend or upset the tech guys.

I really dont know what it is... it looks like it is dripping from the line that goes from the fuel filter to the hard line that runs to the front of the car.. cant really tell

I'm just hoping the tank isnt faulty....
Old 12-28-2008, 05:39 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

probably didnt install the little clip at the connection point