5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

little help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Default little help

Okay, well i'm building up my old block i decided... selling the waste of space subs to make room for the nitrous bottle and get me some $$ for some of the build. I want to go with a ford racing e303 cam... trick flow stage 1 or something along those lines, what would you recommend? It's my dd pretty much and i won't be spraying it all that often just cause there isn't really that big of a need for it around here... so i want it to be quick without spray and better with it.

I don't believe i'm getting any heads yet, but idk i'll see if i can atleast get a set of gt40's.

What other supporting mods should i need/get for the nitrous. The block is really pretty clean, i'm getting it tanked at my buddies shop that he works at here shortly but i would like to know what everybody thinks i should build.

I don't want something that will rape my gas horribly and by no means need a 10 second street car. I just want to get into the low 13's for now...

any help would be appreciated...

--EDIT for now its basically a budget build, i'm 18 and just want something a little faster than i have. The only reason i decided on the cam was i blew my head gasket in the new motor right after i got home from a 2,700 mile road trip... i was proud it made it but now i'm paying the price. I'm selling my subs for the cam and whatever else i should get to run this baby safely daily hopefully without any problems. ANYTHING I NEED TO GET TELL ME PLEASE, thank you.

Last edited by Hollister Hoodlum; 07-13-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if those are your two cam choices, go for the tfs cam and at least gt-40 heads
Old 07-13-2009, 08:59 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

dont be so dead set on those two craptastic cams... seriously
Old 07-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Ha, i'm not "deadset on the craptastic cams" lol.

I just don't have a lot of money for anything to crazy. I currently don't have a job so gas is expensive enough.

I just want to throw a cam in while its already torn down.

I'm more than open to any ideas.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

If you arent changing the heads, dont bother changing the cam. Your gonna kill your gas mileage, and probably LOSE power.

In any "budget" build, the first things to go should be the heads and intake. The stock 5.0 cam is actually half way decent. Especially if you can score a set of 1.7 rockers....

save the money, and skip the cam
Old 07-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Alright well, i can probably get some money for a pair of gt40's... i already have an air gap intake... so what cam would be good for street use... occasional nitrous use?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Alright well, i can probably get some money for a pair of gt40's... i already have an air gap intake... so what cam would be good for street use... occasional nitrous use? oh and i forgot to mention what rockers would be good, company wise?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'd get employed first before worrying about performance additions
Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

I'm getting a job after its up and running, right now i can't due to it not being drivable.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

heck in that case I'd hit up the local boneyard for an explorer motor as A D/D IN THE MEAN TIME, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SCORE SUCH EASY FOR UNDER 500 BEANS...DANG CAPS!!!