5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

worth it? something wrong here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:08 PM
killamaniac
1st Gear Member

Default worth it? something wrong here?

I am interested in this fox i found on craigslist about an hour from where i live. It sounds like a great deal, but I want to check with you guys to make sure nothing is fishy or odd. This is the ad:

"Very nice 1990 Mustang GT with 89k miles. 5-speed manual, 5.0L, black interior, very nice and clean. easy daily driver. Interior is very clean, underside of car is solid with very little rust. Small rust bubbles on pass. quarter panel, crack in body filler on roof. Only known issues however.
New parts:

Pistons and rings have 24k miles on them along with the tranny
GT40 swap with heads and intake (heads with 5 angle valve job, under 1k miles on them)
ALL new engine gaskets (Felpro head gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust, water pump, timing cover, oil pan, injector o-rings and pintle caps you name it)
New oil pump, oil pump driveshaft
New motor mounts
New fuel filter, stater soleniod, and radiator with 160 deg thermostat, stays nice and cool
New Battery from Farm and Fleet
New Distributor, TFI module and Autolite plugs
Rebuilt bottom end with 1k miles on it
Also has a B303 cam i believe

Newer King Cobra clutch
Recently rebuild alternator
A/C charged and works but in-cabin switch is bad (only reason a/c is inop)
Good tires
Clean interior, and Undercoated engine bay
Custom tinted headlights with sylvania silverstar ultra's
BBK headers to BBK Offroad H pipe to Flowmaster American thunder mufflers
Short throw shifter

I am sure there is something i am forgetting. But Cash talks, buyer must pick the car up i will not ship it.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff11/fuzzynutz89/ "

Last edited by killamaniac; 07-14-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:38 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

price?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:53 PM
koesterca1
2nd Gear Member

unless your looking for a track/drag car that's really cheap.stay away from anything with rust..if there's rust underneath, on the quarter panel, and body filler on the roof chances are there's 5x more not visible...+1 on asking price?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM
killamaniac
1st Gear Member

oh sorry I thought it was in the ad. I have talked him down to 4200. Around here near chicago its very very rare for a car without some kind of rust. the pictures in the link there shows the rust on the fender is about dime sized, pretty good for a midwest car. The roof was the only sketchy thing, but i only have about 4300 to spend so I think its good for my price range. Best one Ive seen yet around here.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:53 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

wow, 4200 for that?! I can get way more for my car then, if I were to sell....

I would look for something wout rust, but if you say theyre all rusted then maybe its a good one......
Old 07-14-2009, 05:21 PM
killamaniac
1st Gear Member

yeah, unless someone has bought a California car or the like, or the car has been to a body shop, they all have some amount of rust. So you think its a good deal? should i jump on it?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:44 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

I say that If it really is that hard to find one without much rust than and thats as good as it gets then go for it.

Just to let you know though I bought my red '91 Notch with 80,000 Original miles, ALL black interior off a 55 year old couple original owners for $4k. Does need a paint job though....
Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 PM
killamaniac
1st Gear Member

yeah the paint on this one is only a few years old, and around here people want near 10k for original low miles and 5-6k average! Im going to call this guy and check it out in person. Thanks guys.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 PM
MaxEvian
1st Gear Member

He is right. It is hard to find a rust free Mustang in Chicago. Most are rust buckets. There are a lot out there where the owner is clueless has to how much rust their Mustang actually has. I passed up a few because of the rust. The one I ended up with cost me $2700. They welded a frame underneath my baby. There isn't a drop of rust on her. She spent most of her life in Arizona. $4400 in that shape isn't that bad. You will probably end up fixing a ton of things no matter what Mustang you end up with. I have never owned a car where it didn't come with some headaches. Craiglist rules!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

need to strip the upholstry off that seat and clean the stain

Quick Reply: worth it? something wrong here?