5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

mini starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:43 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Default mini starter

I've already searched for it and couldn't find it but does anyone know how you're supposed to hook up the mini starter
Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

run a cable from the battery direct to the big lug on the starter and then run a smaller gauge wire from the hot in crank side of your current selonoid down to the smaller lug / selonoid on the starter, do it any other way and after you let of the key/crank mode and your starter will crank for a sec or two.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:52 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

would it be alright just to use the old starter cable and what guage for the smaller one
Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 PM
87notch408
1st Gear Member

Your old one probably went from the crank side of your solenoid. You would have to move it to the battery side of your solenoid then run a smaller gauge wire down to the small pole on the starter, just as MJR46 said.
I used some high quality fine strand 10 gauge wire for the start side and I used 1/0 gauge welding wire to make all my battery / starter cables.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Yes you can use your old one, all you'll have to do is move the large starter cable on the solonoid to the other terminal, then put a smaller wire on the terminal you removed your starter from for the starter solenoid. Factory used a 12ga wire for the solenoid wire, wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a 14ga fusible link in there too.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:44 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

thanks guys I've been redoing the transmission again now that I have one with all gears and idk if y'all remember what my car was sounding like

I changed the flywheel and starter drive on the car and today made sure both flywheels were the same 157 tooth, anyways I had the car on the lift with someone in it to turn it over(had the trans out already) I had me a mirror and flashlight to see what the starter was doing. From what I could tell it was hitting the front of the flywheel(now it would crank for a week and a 1/2 after I changed the flywheel and drive) so I figure while I'm fixing one thing do it right
Old 08-15-2009, 11:11 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

what's the difference between the 157 and 164 tooth flywheels other than the different num. of teeth
Old 08-16-2009, 12:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

diameter/size
Old 08-17-2009, 10:19 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

ok I found out what was wrong with my car/starter the starter housing was eggshaped and let the shaft move when the bendix kicked out and made it hit the flywheel.I got the rest of the car put back together along with the new mini starter and I know I hooked it up wtong I'll fix it tomorrow at school I left the old wire where it was on the solenoid and then hooked the 10 guage wire up to the starter solenoid kinda like a jumper and it now stays engaged for about 5 seconds after the car is running O and let me tell you I love having 2nd gear again I went aand looked for an empty road to try second gear.It was the most fun I've had in a mustang for a long time I'll take a pic of the black marks that I laid down tomorrow when I saw them in the rearview they were black as night.now to get to my ques. will it hurt to crank the car and the starter stay engaged for that little bit of time after the car is running?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

here's what I promised y'all I just did one set though you can see where I shifted into 2nd lol

Last edited by mustangsneverdie; 08-18-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: mini starter