5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

B303 on stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Feller

Default B303 on stock heads

Would this be a waste of time/money? I want to get some TF heads but it's not in the budget atm. Also whats the opinion here on the Cobra intake?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:42 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Keep your stock cam. it provides loads of low end torque, which a stock 5.0 needs. The B-cam is outdated and does not make power till 4000rpm+, well above your heads flowing limit. Sure your car will sound good, but it will run like crap and chances are you will experience extreme valve float with the stock heads and springs. The Cobra intake is a good intake. It is much better than the stock H.O. intake. It will give your car much better breathing in the upper rpm, even with the stock heads and cam.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:43 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

yes/yes. Wait to do the cam when you do the heads and intake. Cobra intake is good, not the best but certainly not bad.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

noobs
Old 09-13-2009, 12:16 AM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

I had a ported cobra intake on my car before I ripped it apart and I definatly noticed a differance. Not so much on the bottom end but past 3500 it pulled and reved up a lot quicker.

jay
Old 09-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Feller

Originally Posted by mjr46
noobs
Care to say more? And The intake is going on even if I don't have the heads or a new cam. Cams aren't expensive so I figured I might as well get one. This is no track car I want lots of torque, top ends not as important. You just have to beat people from a stop on the street lol so any suggestions??
Old 09-13-2009, 07:22 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Feller
Care to say more? And The intake is going on even if I don't have the heads or a new cam. Cams aren't expensive so I figured I might as well get one. This is no track car I want lots of torque, top ends not as important. You just have to beat people from a stop on the street lol so any suggestions??
intake is average, they're better options out there, cam is not gonna help you with stock heads or period, b-cam is old and outdated lack luster performance, and if you mean cams aren't expensive because your picking from the 169.00 dollar options, so will be your performance......there are som decent at best ots cams out there but letter cams are not one of them, do some more research, you want lots of torque....lol I'm finishing up a motor with such, stock heads, b-cam and cobra intake won't give that to you, here's what I have, custom cam, high lift, low duration, ported to the max cobra intake upper and lower, edelbrock rpm heads with 1.90/1.60 valves, roller rockers, 306 bottom end flat top forged trw pistons, 3.73 gears , 1 5/8 equal length shorty headers and 2 1/2 bbk x pipe with 2 1/2 flowmaster catback and 24 lbs inj and pro-mass air and 70 mm bbk t-body, this is no track car either but should be a respectable ride oh and cam swaps require spring upgrade...I have over 700.00 invested in my cam and all the proper valvetrain hardware so this cam lives up to it's expectations, iF YOU intend to achieve the same from spending 169.00.....lol better research a little more

Last edited by mjr46; 09-13-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Feller

Ok well with FR cams out of the questions I might go with a comp cam. And before i got around to getting the new heads I would have installed....3.73's, alum driveshaft, bbk long tubes/h pipe, already have flowmaster cat back 2 1/2, 65 mm tb, new maf, the intake, and control arms/ subframe connectors. So that's where I am at this point, whats should the next step be.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:56 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Ok well with FR cams out of the questions I might go with a comp cam. And before i got around to getting the new heads I would have installed....3.73's, alum driveshaft, bbk long tubes/h pipe, already have flowmaster cat back 2 1/2, 65 mm tb, new maf, the intake, and control arms/ subframe connectors. So that's where I am at this point, whats should the next step be.
SAVE YOUR MONEY until you can afford some decent heads. Then you can throw a cam in it. Do not put one in with your stock heads. And like I said earlier, the majority of aftermarket cams bump up your powerband. You WILL sacrifice low end torque for high rpm power. The stock cam is a GOOD torque cam. It can take your car deep into the 11's and 10's with F/I. And don't say you want a cam for the sound!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

whats should the next step be.
H/C/I..

Quick Reply: B303 on stock heads