5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

H pipe Vs X pipes Vs True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:17 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by F150 StrokerCobra
Little bit of info...if you do plan on doing an H pipe...throw some paint on the first 3ft of your pipes, and where the paint is burned off...that's the optimal place for the H pipe.
That's weird cause Dr. Gas seems to think the best place for the crossover is as close to the headers as possible...
Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FoxGT
X or H will offer more power due to the scavenging effect created from the crossover. In my opinion H & X sound far better than true duals, but I think true duals sound like sh*t. Everyone's opinion is different. X sounds best during driving & wot, H sounds better at idle imo. I run an H now, but if I had to pick again I would have gone with the X.

As far as power production between the X or H, the only way you're going to find out is dyno the car with both setups a couple times. Some people on here will say X is more powerful, some will say H. I've seen dyno tests where both produced more. mm&ff & a few other companies tested & both got mixed answers. in one case the X produces more, in another the H did. Personally I would pick based on sound between the H or X & I wouldn't pick the duals at all due to significantly lower power.
A properly setup H or X will accelerate the vehicle faster than no crossover.
Straight pipe, no cross over will accelerate faster than an incorrectly setup H or X pipe.
It matters where the crossover is put...
Old 09-19-2009, 12:05 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Ideally you do want the crossover as close to the collector as possible, but where it is usually ends up being more of a packaging consideration than anything else.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:07 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Ideally you do want the crossover as close to the collector as possible, but where it is usually ends up being more of a packaging consideration than anything else.
nope

bolt a straight piece of pipe to each collector, paint the pipe. where the paint stops burning, put the crossover.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:09 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 94StinkinLincoln
A properly setup H or X will accelerate the vehicle faster than no crossover.
Straight pipe, no cross over will accelerate faster than an incorrectly setup H or X pipe.
It matters where the crossover is put...
Yeah I have an article on it going over size, backpressure, & velocity aswell as the H or X, but it never went into great detail about best location; it did however show some designs based on what they found with their testing. I personally have done no testing to back up either, just what i've read.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:13 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

I did not know about it until after i welded my exhaust up, or it totally escaped my feeble mind. im kind of curious on how far off mine is, i might just paint mine for for giggles.

Its only what i have read/been told by a person i trust in the performance world.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

For an F150. Did you know Mustang headers fit them trucks. Can be had for pretty much free too.

The H favours smaller cams and lower end performance vs an X which will help with scavenging for big overlap racing cams. Since you have a truck I'd go with an H.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:59 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jfsram

The H favours smaller cams and lower end performance vs an X which will help with scavenging for big overlap racing cams. Since you have a truck I'd go with an H.
that's one of the biggest crocks of shyt i have ever heard.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:44 AM
F150 StrokerCobra
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jfsram
For an F150. Did you know Mustang headers fit them trucks. Can be had for pretty much free too.

F150 headers are not a prob becuase F150 where offered with 5.0's also..
Old 09-19-2009, 02:25 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 94StinkinLincoln
nope

bolt a straight piece of pipe to each collector, paint the pipe. where the paint stops burning, put the crossover.

I don't see how that makes any difference at all.

Quick Reply: H pipe Vs X pipes Vs True Duals