5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Turbo 5.0, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
90stangdemon

Default Turbo 5.0, need advice

Ok so i'm trying to turbo charge my 5.0, I needed some advice on which one i should get since i'm on a budget i'm looking for a cheap one but reliable, I wanted to know if I could just add the turbo into my stock 5.0, all I have is an intake or would I have to add other things before the turbo?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:55 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

B&g would be your best bet. set you back about $3000. you can get the on3 kit if its the mild steel kit and you also pay for the turbo upgrade but youll end up paying almost as much as the b&g kit but youll still have a chinese bov and wg

your motor wont need any upgrades, your fuel system will. 42# injectors, new maf, and a bigger fuel pump. when its all installed you will need a dyno tune.

if you get used maf and injectors, plan on spending $4k minimum for a turbo kit and tune
Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 AM
Styg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90stangdemon
Ok so i'm trying to turbo charge my 5.0, I needed some advice on which one i should get since i'm on a budget i'm looking for a cheap one but reliable, I wanted to know if I could just add the turbo into my stock 5.0, all I have is an intake or would I have to add other things before the turbo?
I read your other posts, and it seems like you are just starting to mod the car. You must first realize that you are in California. So adding turbo to a 5.0 (unless it is carb legal) will effectively make you car illegal. You can't pass smog, and if cop pulls you over and looks under the hood you are looking at the REF date.

I would advise you to stay NA. Do the HCI build. NA build is much easier to cover up, and I would think it is going to be more reliable than the boosted one.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:47 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Styg
I read your other posts, and it seems like you are just starting to mod the car. You must first realize that you are in California. So adding turbo to a 5.0 (unless it is carb legal) will effectively make you car illegal. You can't pass smog, and if cop pulls you over and looks under the hood you are looking at the REF date.
altho this is very true, i would like to say, im in ca, my car "passes" smog with flying colors and no cop has ever asked to look under the hood of any of my cars.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 PM
90stangdemon

Yeah I also know a couple people who will "pass" my car for me as well. My brother has a rb20 and he got pulled over a bunch of times, the cops looked at all the gauges and heard his bov, and they never asked to look under the hood of the car. I guess the cops in my area aren't really that bad. But which would be cheaper to do supercharge or turbo charge? and I'm also on a low budget(around $2500-3000). Thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Cleeman99
3rd Gear Member

on that kinda budget you can make a lot more reliable power N/A HP like a decent 10 psi supercharger will cost atleast 3 grand and to get its full abilty you would need to do head cam intake and but stock you can make just over 100HP/FT-lbs where with 3 grand sh*t you could go to a junk yard get a 351w block and cheap front sump oil pan and edelbrock power package making 400HP/412ft-lbs and thats more then you'll make on a force induction 302 stock motor and thats for about 2500 including junk yard block for 400 or so and oil pan and and eventhing else needed or for around 3300 on 351w block you can make 451HP/433FT-lbs my subjestion is go the 351w they are easier to make power out of but once again your car is sopose to be efi but with those set ups you looking at a carb set up its just a subjestion though i liked my 351w a lot more not only that in the future if you really wanna make low end power bore and stroke it like i did now i have a 408 and they make lovly amounts of low end torque but the choice is you to make we can only give you ideas
Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
90stangdemon

That sounds like a good set up but I don't think i'm ever going to go to the tracks. Maybe once in a while to see what my times are but that's not in the near future. Basically I just want a fast street car so I think i'm going to just keep the stock 302 and add a whole bunch of mods on to it. Where would be a good start for me to start upgrading? The first thing I want to do is get 4.10s.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Cleeman99
3rd Gear Member

well the setup i was talking about is a streetable set up and the 351w drops rigth in place of th 302 nothing really other then intake size and deck hieght and the CI but for a 302 i would recommend starting with H/C/I
Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
90stangdemon

Which brands are the best to go with for the HCI?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Cleeman99
3rd Gear Member

Wll it cheaper to do a indavidal build Like heads trick flow heads and cam maybe intake maybe it depends on what kinda power your are looking for

Quick Reply: Turbo 5.0, need advice