5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Street car question.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Poppajac

Default Street car question.

First lemme say hello to everyone and that this is a great forum. I am new to the forum, this is my second or third post but I have a very general question. This post starts out slow so bare with me.

I bought my son a 1993 LX 4cyl for his 16 birthday back in August and I am going to have it paint and some new suspension done for him for Christmas,after I find out what keeps draining the new battery. I have found some things to check after reading a few post on this forum.

Well my 9 year old son loves to go to the drag races with me every time I go and he loves older cars. I think he loves the sound of the cars more than the cars. Well for many many years I have been talking about buying a fox body mustang and building (well have someone who knows what they are doing build) street, almost strip car. Since buying my son his 93LX and seeing how much my 9 year old loves cars I think I am at that point. So now to my very general question.....and I told you the post started out slow

I have a budget of about 8k to get things started and was wondering if that number would be sufficient? I am sorry about being so vague but I dont really know. I can tell you what I do want....a fox body, very very strong street car, 5 speed manual.

Thanks for any help or advice....

Poppajac

Last edited by Poppajac; 10-23-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

8k is a good amount to definitely get things going. you could pick up a roller for 500-1000. then work on suspension, motor, and depending how radical you want to go in some of the areas will depend on far your money will go.

for instance i picked up a roller coupe for 500. will im still in the suspension, brakes, rear end chassis part of it but i went a little more extreme then most people do
Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

I picked up my junk for 1000 and got a nice paintjob from and illegal alien for 1000. After that, new motor for 600 bucks and all is good even to this day. My car is pretty much stock...for now.

Oh, think I got a job guys. ;D
Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

You could always buy a nicely set up fox for around 8k, but that will eliminate the father and son build thing...
Old 10-23-2009, 02:54 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I think you should know ahead of time where you want to go w/ the car. That will secure your budget instead of wandering aimlessly as you go. W/ 8K, you should be able to have a very nice lil street car.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:14 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
I think you should know ahead of time where you want to go w/ the car. That will secure your budget instead of wandering aimlessly as you go. W/ 8K, you should be able to have a very nice lil street car.
Exactly make a plan and know what you want first. I for one have wasted money moving around myself and I see guys do it all the time. But I made my mind up a few years ago and been working on it ever since.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:37 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by uedlose
Exactly make a plan and know what you want first. I for one have wasted money moving around myself and I see guys do it all the time. But I made my mind up a few years ago and been working on it ever since.
Haha, right! Kinda like, measure twice cut once.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I know where $10k will buy you one hell of a friggin ride!!!

Sure its not a fox.. but its built to last!

VVVVVVVVVVVV
Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Poppajac

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I know I want a street car that is barely streetable (is that a word) that I can drive on pump gas. I was thinking of buying a fox body GT since the suspension is already setup for the 5.0 and reworking the engine or adding one and was thinking NOS or a turbo....this is where I run into trouble. I don't know where to go as far as the motor. Is it better to buy an older motor and have it reworked, buy a crate motor...I just don't know. I guess this is what I need to know as far as spending money.

I have access to a 302 that my brother wants to sell. The motor runs but other than that I know nothing about it. I know it has an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and Erson manifold covers. Is it better to have the block worked and new heads and intake?

Again I hate to be so vague and a car noob but I do want to do as you guys are telling me and get a plan together so I can get the most bang for the buck.

Poppajac
Old 10-23-2009, 10:25 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Haha, right! Kinda like, measure twice cut once.
I blame it on my A.D.D LOL LOL LOL now what was I doing? oh yea

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street car question.