5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Tired of the Drone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:30 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LS WHAT
factory exhaust is more then enough for a mustang, the exhaust myths have people throwing away money, if you want no drone get a pypes catted or similar midpipe, believe it or not cats are not that restrictive that's the reason the 99-04 gts have 4, and the late models have 2 big ones. I have the factory frt two cats and welded a pypes O/R pipe right behind them and factory mufflers no CEL, my car runs 12.8's 1/4 and 8.2's in the 1/8 with stock gear and street radials.
they have 4 because of higher emissions standards not performance... and cats wont do away with his "drone" and why in gods name would he buy a POS pypes anything when he has bassani??? so he can have like 12 flanges instead of the 4?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
leaves you wondering how fast you really could be with 1 3/4 LT's 3" collector, no mid pipe, 3" flow through muffler dumped /w tune. i bet you could break 12.5 if not faster.
You may be right about your figures but, I went through 4 mid-pipes and weeks of removing and reinstalling until I got one too work with my homemade tune, I have a welder and cutting tools and about 1200$ in pipes and listening to people that didn't know but heard, the larger pipes would help if you added a cam but most can't get the duration correct.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:48 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

You may be right about your figures but, I went through 4 mid-pipes and weeks of removing and reinstalling until I got one too work with my homemade tune, I have a welder and cutting tools and about 1200$ in pipes and listening to people that didn't know but heard, the larger pipes would help if you added a cam but most can't get the duration correct.

^you're this
Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 PM
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

HAHAHA yes kitty cats arent restrictive catalytic converts on the other had literaly ARE a restriction a mesh platnuimish screen with tiny holes that heats up and burns off left over fuel..... get 3 chamber flow masters my car has mac 1 3/4 long tubes o/r h pipe and 3 chambers and its as quiet as a stock car ( i absolutly hate it going to make straight pipes soon)
Old 03-10-2010, 09:36 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

factory exhaust is more then enough for a mustang, the exhaust myths have people throwing away money, if you want no drone get a pypes catted or similar midpipe, believe it or not cats are not that restrictive that's the reason the 99-04 gts have 4, and the late models have 2 big ones. I have the factory frt two cats and welded a pypes O/R pipe right behind them and factory mufflers no CEL, my car runs 12.8's 1/4 and 8.2's in the 1/8 with stock gear and street radials.

Maybe for your car but not for ours. 2 completely different stock setups and 2 completely different aftermarket results because of it.

OP, I don't have any drone with my MAC Pro dumps with the tail pipes on them.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

My MACs don't drone at all...and I have no sound insulation in my car. Might want to checking your seals and such?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:56 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

I like my MACs they sound good and dont have the 'drone' while cruising.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:01 AM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

I feel dumb for askin this,but whats this drone you speak of?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by holyshift
I feel dumb for askin this,but whats this drone you speak of?
the loud vibrations and humming that comes from aftermarket exhaust that resonates into the cabin of the car.

dictionary.com
drone

1.to make a dull, continued, low, monotonous sound; hum; buzz.
2.to speak in a monotonous tone.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Oh werd.....

Quick Reply: Tired of the Drone!!!