5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Is this worth it? 88GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

Wow lol, 3 hours is not far at all to drive for a car you want. I've driven 3.5 hours for the hood on my car, an hour for the wheels, an hour for my front tires, an hour for my car. And that's all just one way. And it was all worth it to me lol. but your dad is providing the cash. So If I were you, I'd just keep looking until you find the car you want, Whether it be a fox or a new edge. Once you find one that's in your dads price range, jump on it.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 PM
GTV8

Originally Posted by badlx87
Wow lol, 3 hours is not far at all to drive for a car you want. I've driven 3.5 hours for the hood on my car, an hour for the wheels, an hour for my front tires, an hour for my car. And that's all just one way. And it was all worth it to me lol. but your dad is providing the cash. So If I were you, I'd just keep looking until you find the car you want, Whether it be a fox or a new edge. Once you find one that's in your dads price range, jump on it.
Yeah I dont think its that bad either... beats me... i think it was 3 hours each way too... maybe 4. But the PA ones are like 1-2 hours each way.

I dont know what car i want. lol... id rather have a new edge sure but they pretty much all cost more... at least around here. I would take the black fox but it has sort of high miles, even if its not for a 88... and im already pretty sure my dad wouldnt want it (which is weird its supposed to be mine?) just because its old. even if it runs perfectly fine (it would also be sweet if i could spend some of the "saved" money from the fox on parts... i dont think that would happen though)

The fox is well within it... but ^^^
Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

those miles rnt bad at all. id go there and if the body is in great shape like it looks buy it! these motors are a dime a dozen and are easy to swap. and a gear change isnt too bad. and mods are like $100 its retarded cheap compared to modding a new car..
Old 06-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTV8
hahaha thanks for letting me know...

Yeah cobras... meh, theyre all really expensive lol. Theres a 99 cobra and they want $7000 for it by me... It has 157k+ miles....
if u saw what adder has going on under the hood, you'd jump for it lol

hell i wish i had the money, or had the money when pro sold his notch... great cars
Old 06-30-2010, 12:16 AM
GTV8

Originally Posted by nacanitihs
those miles rnt bad at all. id go there and if the body is in great shape like it looks buy it! these motors are a dime a dozen and are easy to swap. and a gear change isnt too bad. and mods are like $100 its retarded cheap compared to modding a new car..
Well... what is not bad... Does that not seem high to you? They dont last that long do they?.... Ive seen a couple with swapped/bigger motors. One of them only listed the mileage on the body... im guessing the engine had more. And thats yet another thing my dad isnt interested in... Nothing with an engine swap

And yeah, mods are super cheap. I like it
I would deffinatley take a foxbody like that one just because it will save me a ton on parts and still be fast.

Ill try showing my dad tomorrow when ever he wakes up and see what he says. Im betting it wont be to good, but maybe it will cause its cheap? Dunno.

about the gears i dont know how im supposed to have a mechanic check it out before i buy it? lol...

Originally Posted by Shelty
if u saw what adder has going on under the hood, you'd jump for it lol

hell i wish i had the money, or had the money when pro sold his notch... great cars
hah I probably would, dont get me wrong I love cobras, theyre just way to expensive for me... (this one thats 7000 only has a flowmaster exhuast the rest is stock) looks nice though. its white :/

theres a 94' cobra 5 speed with 90k miles for $7000
doubt id get it though. and cobra parts are even worse then GT parts lol.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:15 AM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

about the gears i dont know how im supposed to have a mechanic check it out before i buy it? lol...
I would say set a date to do a test drive and take it to a mechanic for inspection. But If the rear has something wrong, you shouldn't do that. I guess I'm luck enough to have a friends as a mechanic and he'd come look at the car with me to inspect it and such. Maybe you or your dad, uncle, brother may know a mechanic that could do this for you.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTV8
Well... what is not bad... Does that not seem high to you? They dont last that long do they?.... Ive seen a couple with swapped/bigger motors. One of them only listed the mileage on the body... im guessing the engine had more. And thats yet another thing my dad isnt interested in... Nothing with an engine swap

Ill try showing my dad tomorrow when ever he wakes up and see what he says. Im betting it wont be to good, but maybe it will cause its cheap? Dunno.

theres a 94' cobra 5 speed with 90k miles for $7000
doubt id get it though. and cobra parts are even worse then GT parts lol.
well it is on the cheaper side compared to what people think they can get for their foxes now a days.. but usually if a car has an engine swap then the motor has less miles than the body. i wouldnt be afraid of an engine swap if it runs well. and 5.0s do last a long time if maintained properly. some people on here have like 170+ some even have 200+ its just all in the maintainence. that engine looked pretty clean from the pic so im assuming it was maintained well.

i bought mine bone stock a few years ago for $4k but mine had 78k on it BUT the paint looked and still looks like crap. its all faded on the top from sitting in the sun. it would be cheaper to swap out a high mileage motor and trans then get a paint job and that car already has fresh paint.

as for the rear end some aftermarket gears just make noise regardless if they were installed properly or not. but having someone fix that would not ne a big deal really. but you def could get some off the price because of that.

oh and btw a 94/95 cobra isnt much different than the regular 94/95 gt or 5.0 fox.. the mods would be the same price. but you would already have the upgraded heads and intake that most people put on their 5.0s as a mild build. wouldnt pay $7k for a stock one tho.. it would have to have some significant work done

and $7000 is good for a 99 Cobra btw

Last edited by nacanitihs; 06-30-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 AM
enfausn
1st Gear Member

Not to be a buzz kill, but if you're headed to college you are going to be much more broke then you think. Just a word of advice from expirence. Since it sounds like your going to be using it as a daily driver, I would look for a good solid dependable fox-body that runs and drives. You won't have time or fundage to deal with a car that needs a whole lot of work just to get you where you need to be. Trust me. There's always more work that needs done then you think!! LOL.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 PM
GTV8

Originally Posted by nacanitihs
well it is on the cheaper side compared to what people think they can get for their foxes now a days.. but usually if a car has an engine swap then the motor has less miles than the body. i wouldnt be afraid of an engine swap if it runs well. and 5.0s do last a long time if maintained properly. some people on here have like 170+ some even have 200+ its just all in the maintainence. that engine looked pretty clean from the pic so im assuming it was maintained well.

i bought mine bone stock a few years ago for $4k but mine had 78k on it BUT the paint looked and still looks like crap. its all faded on the top from sitting in the sun. it would be cheaper to swap out a high mileage motor and trans then get a paint job and that car already has fresh paint.

as for the rear end some aftermarket gears just make noise regardless if they were installed properly or not. but having someone fix that would not ne a big deal really. but you def could get some off the price because of that.
Yeah i was thinking that could probably take some off the price.

Originally Posted by enfausn
Not to be a buzz kill, but if you're headed to college you are going to be much more broke then you think. Just a word of advice from expirence. Since it sounds like your going to be using it as a daily driver, I would look for a good solid dependable fox-body that runs and drives. You won't have time or fundage to deal with a car that needs a whole lot of work just to get you where you need to be. Trust me. There's always more work that needs done then you think!! LOL.
haha I know. I might try getting a job on campus if I can handle it with school work... Thankfully im not paying for college (yet), but ill still have to pay for some stuff... Well, it will sort of be a daily driver, but im probably not going to be driving daily.. if that makes sence. Theres really not much reason for me to leave campus very often. Which is another thing i was worried about, I dont really want to leave my car just sitting out side all the time and getting weathered... car cover? Im not sure.

funny thing about my dad being cheap?, my parents told me if i wait to get a newer car every year they will give me $1000 more to spend... but thats not helping when i dont even know what theyre willing to pay anymore since i was assuming around 6-7... but also if i wait to long id have a good job and be able to buy myself what ever car i want so i dont know... I wanna be able to enjoy it now.

Or if I do get a nicer car maybe i could just leave it at home and drive my crappy car i have now to college and let it sit there...

yeah... i dont want to do work on just random stuff that breaks... a person i know has one and theyve had ALOT of problems with it... but its was also really cheap. like $2000 or something.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

My fox cost me $1000 and i've had no issues with the car other than a faulty positive battery cable that I put on. I've put roughly 4k miles on this fox as well, in 4 months. And I've ran the absolute P*** out of it a few times at the strip and every so often on the street lol. Sometimes a person can get lucky, like me, and find a fox/other mustang that has a little rust on the surface, but runs strong and keeps-a-goin. It all just depends on a cars past, and it's sometimes hard to tell what it's gone through.

Quick Reply: Is this worth it? 88GT