5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Fox having electrical problems - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:27 PM
jmonlea

Default Fox having electrical problems - Please help!

Hey folks. I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot an issue I'm having with my 92 fox. The other day I stepped out of the car for at most 3 minutes. I came back to find that I left my lights on. I figured no big deal, but went to start the car and it was absolutely dead. Weird to me as the battery is only two months old and I've had no problems whatsoever. Anyhow, I was right next door to a garage, so I was able to get them to bring over a charger and get me started. I then proceeded to drive ten feet and the car died once again. Got another change, started the car, but this time as soon as they took the charger off the battery, the car started to die. Quickly the charger was put back on the battery and the car picked back up to life. I tried reving the car, but still died as soon as the charger was taken off.

So now that you've got the background, here's what I've done so far. My immediate thought was the alternator. Just to note, I'm running a Vortech V1 s/c with the alternator relocated underneath on the passenger side. Let me just say, it was an absolute pain having to remove the mounting bracket for the s/c just to get the alternator off. I eventually was able to get alternator out and brought it to the local auto store. They tested the alternator, just to find out that it's perfectly fine.... OMG! Wish I didn't have to go through all that work for nothing.

Anyone able to provide me with suggestions on next step? I'm Mr. Electrical, so I'm running out of options. Anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:30 PM
jmonlea

I'm "NOT" Mr. Electrical I should have said. Please help!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

irregardless of what those inaccurate autozone test guys behind the counter say, I'd replace the alternator and go from there.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:53 PM
jmonlea

I hear ya, although at this point cost is somewhat of a factor. On the other hand, I was contemplating upgrading to a G3 alternator anyhow, so what better time.

On that note, is there anything else that could cause these symptoms? Anything else I should look into?

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

As half witted and intellectually numb as most part store employee's are, its fairly rare that an alternator will test OK and actually not be. If you watched him do it, and the green light came on showing OK, you more than likely have an issue with the wiring leading to the battery(from the charge post on the alt), or the inline fuse, or your belt tensioner isn't up to par.

Check the belt for abnormal wear patterns on the ribs and signs of burning/melting. This will show whether or not the belt is loosely riding the pulleys.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you could inspect the harness and the charge wire that goes to the selonoind or battery, can't remember exactly where it ties in at..all they do at the parts store is fully field the alt, while doing that may cause it to output...that does not mean the internal reg = grey pack on the back harness plugs into is any good.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM
jmonlea

Thanks. I did check the belt and tension with no signs of suspect. Silly newbie question, but where would I find the inline fuse? I know some of the newer style alternators have a lead running to the battery with a fuse built in, but I'm running the original OEM Motorcraft alternator.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:50 PM
jmonlea

Bumping up. Where can I found the inline fuse on the OEM alternator? I know, a newbie question