5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

94 Cobra Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Default 94 Cobra Upgrade Questions

Well, its been a while to say the least. Haven't really done much with my 72 lately, just been driving it from time to time. Anyway, a friend of mine has a 94 Cobra Convertible Pace car. It is number 178 of 1000, and only has 32,000 miles. I am thinking about buying it from her to cruise around in. I want it so that I can road race it from time to time and then drive it to the beach on vacation or whatever. That way the 72 can stay my around town/drag strip car.

The car is 99% original and is in absolute TIP TOP condition. The only mods to it are a pro 5.0 shifter, 3.73 gears, a roll bar, and Cobra R's with Michelin Pilot Sport tires. My question is; what would be the next thing to do to it to get more performance? I am thinking a full BBK exhaust system with Catted X pipe (we have to pass the sniffer test), Maybe an E303 or F303 Cam, bump timing to 14*, aluminum flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, a FRPP handling kit, strut tower brace, not sure about a CAI??? What about a MAF and bigger TB??? Supercharger??? I have also heard that these cars are WAY under tuned from the factory and a good dyno tune will wake it up a lot, especially with some simple bolt ons.

I have thought about a whole top end kit with a new cam, heads, and intake, but I feel that the GT-40 stuff has a lot of potential (with the exception of the stock cam), and don't want to throw it away. Not to mention this car is a collectors car and I don't want to ruin it by re-doing the entire engine. I just want to wake it up a bit and make it handle better. In the future I might consider upgrading to a T-56 but im not sure its worth the $3500 price tag...

What do you guys think, what would be the best bang for my buck?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you would be retarded to continue to modify that car.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 AM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

That's why I just want to do bolt ons. I won't do anything that can't be taken off easily, so like I won't do sub frame connectors, And I won't modify the stock exhaust because I would want to be able to swap it back for original at any time. A cam is even pushing it because that's not exactly an "easy" swap, more moderate.

So... lets just imagine its not a pace car haha, what cam would you run in it without having to change the pistons? I probably won't change the cam, but I am just curious.

After posting up I got to looking at the Kenne Bell Systems and the 2.1 seems like a really good deal. $3200 gets you everything you need, and that combined with exhaust, flywheel, and driveshaft should make the car scoot along pretty good. Then combine that with with the FRPP handling kit and a strut tower brace and the handling should improve quite a bit too.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

dont think you quite understand what you have here. That is a very rare vehicle. DO NOT **** IT UP.

leave the god damn thing stock... If you wanna mod a cobra, get one with an astronomical amount of miles.... like mine did.

But if you just want to mod a 5.0, get a GT. LEAVE THAT CAR ALONE.

Let me reiterate that one more time. I just recently saw a 94 pace car with 15k miles on it sell for $22,000!

So would you REALLY want to devalue the car by putting the worlds ****tiest blower on there?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

^^ I agree

i dont understand why people feel the need to modify rare cars.. if you want to modify something to race it then get a mass produced GT. everything will bolt up just the same and no one will care.

and your going to road race it? risk crashing it? racking up the miles? you said it is in tip top shape and has low miles.. why ruin that??? and who in the hell races a conv??

its just like these people with real 93 cobras that do hci swaps and s/c what the hell was the point of that?!? the car isnt even a cobra anymore...
Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

there is one on ebay right now going for $17k

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item27b3f82004

what is this girl going to sell it to you for??
Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Holy_Joe
1st Gear Member

Yeah, seriously? I have a 1995 Cobra R, with 30,000 miles on it, # 218 of 250. And the thought to modify it never crossed my mind. And that joker is worth some cash.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ya like i was saying im all for modifying cars and molesting the crap out of them haha

just not the rare ones that will actually be worth good money one day or even now
Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Sorry I even asked. I'll search the forum for info since you guys won't help me out. Its not your car (heck, not mine yet) so don't worry about it. If the car had never been messed with, and if it hadn't already seen a lot of track time, I wouldn't change anything, and wouldn't even want it. But the simple fact of the matter is that it has been road raced several times before, it does have a few dings here and there, and the front bumper has a small scuff (about 2 sq. inches) on it from where she hit somebody. So yeah... its closer to perfect than anything else I own, but its not 100%. Nothing I own is 100% stock, thats just how I am. I don't want to park a car and look at it and say that thing is worth a lot of money. I want a car to drive and ENJOY, I want one to have fun with.

I can get a really good deal on it, and basically I can't get a GT in comparable condition for a price this good. That's why I want this one.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:40 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

so buy it, sell it for a ridiculous price, then buy a GT to beat the hell out of.

Quick Reply: 94 Cobra Upgrade Questions